The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

I did some bits of a scrimmage last week and felt like I had almost forgotten everything I had learned about officiating basketball last season.

Some things that confused me:

1 - Player bringing the ball up, dribbles off the hip and continues to dribble. Is that just an interrupted dribble (no whistle) or a double dribble (whistle)?

2 - If I'm the non-administering official on a free throw, what all am I doing? Can someone run through the sequence of mechanics on that? What arm is going up when and what about when it's a bonus situation? I'm a bit unclear on that or have forgotten.

Sorry to sound like a noob. I've just seriously forgotten mechanics since February.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I did some bits of a scrimmage last week and felt like I had almost forgotten everything I had learned about officiating basketball last season.

Some things that confused me:

1 - Player bringing the ball up, dribbles off the hip and continues to dribble. Is that just an interrupted dribble (no whistle) or a double dribble (whistle)?

2 - If I'm the non-administering official on a free throw, what all am I doing? Can someone run through the sequence of mechanics on that? What arm is going up when and what about when it's a bonus situation? I'm a bit unclear on that or have forgotten.

Sorry to sound like a noob. I've just seriously forgotten mechanics since February.
I guess you're doing 2 man.

What I do as trail in 2 man:

First shot: hold up 1, 2, or 3, or 1 & 1 for the table. When the shooter gets the ball start a slight count with the hand that is away from the table. No arm swinging, just a wrist flick. On the shot that will make the ball live I take a couple of steps down towards the endline while raising my arm that is facing the table. Don't raise your arm or move until the ball is shot. Stop before the ball hits the rim to refereee the rebound. If there's a rebound chop the clock when a player contacts the ball. If the ball goes in lower my arm and wait to see what happens on the throw in.

Oh yeah, you also have to watch the table for subs.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
When the shooter gets the ball start a slight count with the hand that is away from the table. On the shot that will make the ball live I rais[e] my arm that is facing the table.
I count and chop with the same arm -- the one away from the shooter.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
If the ball touching the hip causes the ball to come to rest in the hand, then a subsequent dribble is a violation. If the ball simply bounces away after hitting the hip, then you treat it as an interrupted dribble.

Quote:
2 - If I'm the non-administering official on a free throw, what all am I doing?
1. If you're the calling official, indicate the number of FTs to your partner.
2. Indicate number of FTs to the table.
3. When shooter catches ball from the administering official, begin a subtle count. Use a wrist flick, rather than swinging your arm.
4. Observe shooter to make sure s/he doesn't step over the FT line.
5. If the ball will remain alive on a miss, raise arm (whichever one is closer to the table) when the FT is released.
6. (FED) Observe players on far lane line for early entry into the lane.
6. (NCAA) Observe players on nearer lane line for early entry into the lane.
7. Observe flight of the ball to make sure it hits rim.
8. Observe any play above the rim in case of GT or BI.
9. Observe players on nearer side of basket to officiate rebounding action.
10. Chop clock when ball is legally touched after the missed FT.
11. Lower arm (without chopping) if FT is made and observe players for holding or screening action during throw-in.

Other than that, you can pretty much relax.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
When the shooter gets the ball start a slight count with the hand that is away from the table. On the shot that will make the ball live I rais[e] my arm that is facing the table.
Geeze Chuck, does this mean you had to drop "Walking and chewing gum at the same time 101"...again??

Oh well, hang in there, you'll get it eventually!

(btw, check #5 in your list of things to do.)
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Geeze Chuck, does this mean you had to drop "Walking and chewing gum at the same time 101"...again??

No, it means that I don't want my count to distract the shooter, as unlikely as that might be.
Quote:
check #5 in your list of things to do.
Ok, I checked it. It's right. What don't you like about it?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it means that I don't want my count to distract the shooter, as unlikely as that might be.
Quote:
check #5 in your list of things to do.
Ok, I checked it. It's right. What don't you like about it?
Awww, c'mon now, you're just pretending to be dense (or to quote a great statesman from the south: "another stupid yankee ).

"raise arm (whichever one is closer to the table)"

doesn't seem consistent with

"I count and chop with the same arm -- the one away from the shooter."

Does it?

[Edited by Dan_ref on Nov 19th, 2004 at 11:22 AM]
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

OverAndBack, I think Dan and Chuck have given excellent responses for what you do during the FT. I would add this: in 2-man, under federation mechanics, the lead is looking at the two defensive players on opposite sides of the lane in the bottom (closest to the basket) lane spaces plus all the other players on the opposite side of the lane from the lead; the trail is looking at the one or two (if any) players on the opposite side of the lane from the trail, plus the free throw shooter.

Dan, I don't see the inconsistency with what Chuck said. He counts with the hand away from the shooter (and closest to the table), then raises that same hand on the shot's release and chops with that same hand when appropriate if the shot is missed. That is, the "one away from the shooter" is always the same that is "closest to the table." No?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
the "one away from the shooter" is always the same that is "closest to the table." No?
Yes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"raise arm (whichever one is closer to the table)"

doesn't seem consistent with

"I count and chop with the same arm -- the one away from the shooter."

Does it?

[Edited by Dan_ref on Nov 19th, 2004 at 11:22 AM]
Part of the problem is the term "away from the shooter."

I used that term in a class. Then we went out and practiced. One official kept using the "wrong" arm. He insisted that the arm he was using was "farther away from the shooter" because it was closer to the sideline (than the other arm).

So, now I use "the arm closer to the table" or "the arm closer to the division line." Not as much confusion (at least on this point).

(If, from T's perspective (two-person; C's perspective, 3-person), the shooter is at the right end of the court, T will count and raise the left arm; if the shoooter is at the left end, count and raise with the right arm.)

In any event, use the same arm -- not both arms as someone posted.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure how "the arm closest to the sideline" is NOT "the arm away from the shooter" but it's not worth discussing.

I count with my wrist that is closest to the sideline opposite the table.

Better?

Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how "the arm closest to the sideline" is NOT "the arm away from the shooter" but it's not worth discussing.

Better?

If your back is the sideline, aren't both arms the same distance away from the sideline? I think the term that Bob used (the arm closer to the division line) works good. And as he said, you use that same arm to do the wrist count and to raise.

Z
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

if in trail 2 man, or c 3 man, you usually turn at an angle towards the basket especially in 3 man... so if on the left end of the court(to the left of the table as you are looking at it) the hand away from the shooter is the left hand, count with that one and raise that hand when getting ready to chop in time... if you raise your right arm on the left end of the court, you will block your vision of the players to your right and could miss something that you would normally of seen without your arm up!!! Just something that they went over at college camp this summer! Some may do it differently, but it made alot of sense to me!

Same thing goes when throwing the ball in, if on the left of the inbounder use your left arm, if on their right use your right arm to chop, all for same reason, arm gets in the way and you can't see everything you should be looking at!!!!
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Better?

If your back is the sideline, aren't both arms the same distance away from the sideline? I think the term that Bob used (the arm closer to the division line) works good. And as he said, you use that same arm to do the wrist count and to raise.

Z
Obviously my back is not completely to the sideline.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bbgirl
Wink wow

Okay, I have learned a lot from that thread, except the term "chop?"

I"m sure its something simple...like lower your arm or something...but just in case..

please explain.