The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Rule 9-1-2(d) says:

"After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
(d) The free-thrower shall not enter the semicircle. The free-thrower shall not leave the semicircle before releasing the free throw."

Situation:
R is ready to administer the free throw. The designated shooter is behind the 3-point arc still talking strategy with his teammates. R decides to put the ball on the floor at the free throw spot since the shooter is unduly delaying the game.

Is putting the ball on the floor placing it at the disposal of the free throw shooter? If it is, then according to the rule above, once the shooter enters the semicircle to pick up the ball, then it's a violation, correct?

If so, then is it implied by this rule that placing the ball on the floor when the shooter takes a long time to take his position essentially forfeiting the free throw?

Or am I reading this rule incorrectly?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Entering the circle is a violation, or he can wait outside the semicirle and hope that somebody on the opposing team is foolish enough to commit a violation before the 10 second count ends. That's all I can think of.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The shooting team can also request a TO before the 10 second count expires.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! It seems like I interpreted the rule correctly.

Has this ever happened to any of you? If so, did you call it? I would assume there would be a lot of complaining going on if I did. How would you explain it to the player or coach?

Personally, the rule doesn't make sense to me. Anyone know what the intent of this rule is?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

explanation

this one is pretty easy to explain. you just read the rule. tell the coach that the player wasn't ready and that he violated when he entered the circle, end of story.

The intent is to prevent delaying the game. Same thing goes if after the second horn of a timeout teams aren't ready to play you put the ball down and start counting. A little different because the throw in team can still run and pick up the ball and inbound. I am not sure why they can't go into the circle and pick it up and shoot though.

I am sure some of these other guys know why
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the only time you didn't call a technical for delaying a free throw was resuming of play procedure.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by actuary77
Rule 9-1-2(d) says:

"After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
(d) The free-thrower shall not enter the semicircle. The free-thrower shall not leave the semicircle before releasing the free throw."

Situation:
R is ready to administer the free throw. The designated shooter is behind the 3-point arc still talking strategy with his teammates.
if this is not after a timeout, you do not put the ball on the floor; it is a technical foul for the shooter for not being in the semi-circle when the referee was ready to administer the free throw -- see rule 10-3-7 & caseplay 10.3.7
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
if this is not after a timeout, you do not put the ball on the floor; it is a technical foul for the shooter for not being in the semi-circle when the referee was ready to administer the free throw -- see rule 10-3-7 & caseplay 10.3.7 [/B]
Assume that this was the first of two free throws and it is NOT after a timeout. If I do call a T on Team A (the team not ready to shoot the free throws):

For NCAA, two technical free throws for Team B and play will resume with the remaining free throw for Team A, correct?

For NFHS, two technical free throws for Team B. Will the last free throw for Team A be forfeited or will it be administered and possession automatically given to Team B?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I thought the only time you didn't call a technical for delaying a free throw was resuming of play procedure.
There's also a warning for "huddling ni the lane" (or something like that). There's no warning for the shooter not being ready (although as good game management we'd do all we could to get him / her in the circle), and you don't place the ball down since it wasn't a resumption of play procedure.

Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
if this is not after a timeout, you do not put the ball on the floor; it is a technical foul for the shooter for not being in the semi-circle when the referee was ready to administer the free throw -- see rule 10-3-7 & caseplay 10.3.7
Assume that this was the first of two free throws and it is NOT after a timeout. If I do call a T on Team A (the team not ready to shoot the free throws):

For NCAA, two technical free throws for Team B and play will resume with the remaining free throw for Team A, correct?

For NFHS, two technical free throws for Team B. Will the last free throw for Team A be forfeited or will it be administered and possession automatically given to Team B? [/B]
I can only speak to FED rules (good question by the way);
I would clear the lane and let A1 shoot his/her 2nd free throw and then B shoots the T and gets the ball after the shots; you made me wonder though, what if A1 continues to delay for the second shot?? Is that shot just forfeited or do we have another T on A1?? (Doesn't seem sensible to come out of this situation with an ejection from the game for A1)
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 03:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If A1 didn't learn his lesson after the first T, then it is A1 whose sensibilities are in question.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 04:11pm
Never Stop Learning

Good game management tells me to get the shooter into the circle and avoid the T. If they refuse to listen,you have more of a problem then them just delaying. I have never had to do this and I hope never will. I also have never seen this having to be done.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

For NFHS, two technical free throws for Team B. Will the last free throw for Team A be forfeited or will it be administered and possession automatically given to Team B? [/B]
I gave a talk on this stuff today at our association meeting. I addressed when to give a Warning for Delay and when to assess a technical foul because a warning is not appropriate (justified by the rules).

The others who already told you NOT to put the ball on the floor unless it is after a time-out or intermission are correct. You simply T the FT shooter if he is not in the semicircle and ready to receive the ball.
Now if you do have to T the shooter, he does NOT lose his merited FT attempts because he did not commit a violation.
(If he delays again before shooting another FT, you assess another T. In NFHS play this would disqualify that player.)

In NCAA play you would go shoot the T and then come back and shoot the orginal FTs and continue the game as before.

In NFHS play you shoot the original FTs first with the lane
cleared, then go to the other end and shoot the 2FTs for the T with the lane cleared, and then award possession to the opponents of the player who was T'd.