View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by actuary77
Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
if this is not after a timeout, you do not put the ball on the floor; it is a technical foul for the shooter for not being in the semi-circle when the referee was ready to administer the free throw -- see rule 10-3-7 & caseplay 10.3.7
Assume that this was the first of two free throws and it is NOT after a timeout. If I do call a T on Team A (the team not ready to shoot the free throws):

For NCAA, two technical free throws for Team B and play will resume with the remaining free throw for Team A, correct?

For NFHS, two technical free throws for Team B. Will the last free throw for Team A be forfeited or will it be administered and possession automatically given to Team B? [/B]
I gave a talk on this stuff today at our association meeting. I addressed when to give a Warning for Delay and when to assess a technical foul because a warning is not appropriate (justified by the rules).

The others who already told you NOT to put the ball on the floor unless it is after a time-out or intermission are correct. You simply T the FT shooter if he is not in the semicircle and ready to receive the ball.
Now if you do have to T the shooter, he does NOT lose his merited FT attempts because he did not commit a violation.
(If he delays again before shooting another FT, you assess another T. In NFHS play this would disqualify that player.)

In NCAA play you would go shoot the T and then come back and shoot the orginal FTs and continue the game as before.

In NFHS play you shoot the original FTs first with the lane
cleared, then go to the other end and shoot the 2FTs for the T with the lane cleared, and then award possession to the opponents of the player who was T'd.