The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

In last night's Niagra/Providence game, a Niagra player lost control of the ball near the sideline. As he was trying to retrieve it he tapped the ball and then he stepped out of bounds. The announcer, Jay Bilas, said he was not allowed to come back in bounds and gain possession of the ball. Is this not a basketball myth, or am I missing something?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The NCAA has added a section to Rule 9 (Violations) this year that prohibits a person from being the first to touch the ball after going OOB of his/her own volition.

So if the official determined that the player went OOB on purpose, it would be a violation for him to come back inbounds and continue his dribble. If his momentum took him OOB, then he's still allowed to come back and retrieve the ball.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

these announcers need to get their tongue under control. You can regularly hear them make negative comments about calls made by the officials, and this goes with all sports. Once the play is reviewed, they are wrong as often as they are right, but the way they sometimes carry on does not show any sportsmanship or support to the officiating crew. They consistantly show their ingorance to the rules or the spirit of the rule.

Last nights Missouri vs Houston game, the announcer on the radio carried on about whether or not a Houston player was shooting or not when he got fouled. Just one time I would love to see the officials stop the game to yell at a coach when one of his players misses a free throw.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
these announcers need to get their tongue under control. You can regularly hear them make negative comments about calls made by the officials, and this goes with all sports. Once the play is reviewed, they are wrong as often as they are right, but the way they sometimes carry on does not show any sportsmanship or support to the officiating crew. They consistantly show their ingorance to the rules or the spirit of the rule.

Last nights Missouri vs Houston game, the announcer on the radio carried on about whether or not a Houston player was shooting or not when he got fouled. Just one time I would love to see the officials stop the game to yell at a coach when one of his players misses a free throw.
I love it Chris! I would be run out of Illinois if I took the opportunity to holler at a kid when he misses a layup, or when a coach blows a situation, "Boy, you really suck!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, private school game, heard the visiting coach a couple of times:

"That's a foul, ref!"

"That's a foul, ref!"

After the third time he said it, we had a little break in the action. I replied, "Coach, you really need to get out of this man to man and go zone, 1-3-1. And I'd run #3 off a baseline screen to get her open." He said, "What?" I replied,"Well, you're helping me officiate. I thought I'd help you coach."

That was the last I heard from him.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

"That's a foul, ref!"

"That's a foul, ref!"

After the third time he said it, we had a little break in the action. I replied, "Coach, you really need to get out of this man to man and go zone, 1-3-1. And I'd run #3 off a baseline screen to get her open." He said, "What?" I replied,"Well, you're helping me officiate. I thought I'd help you coach."

Classic
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

re:

BktBallRef,

The patent isn't pending on that comeback is it? I might use it here and call it my own.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

You only add fuel to the fire by making that (and other) sarcastic comments back to coaches. I thouroughly understand the temptation of trying to get the last word in on a knucklehead coach, but from the standpoint of professionalism, comments such as these are UNACCEPTABLE!!!
I believe if we as officials do not hold ourselves to higher standards than the coaches, then we are no better. I for one would like to think I handle these situations with dignity and professionalism. I just don't think comments such as these help the game or our relationship with the players or the coaches. Like I said earlier I fully understand the tempatation of firing back a quick zinger at a coach. I just think it is the wrong thing to do. Sooner or later the coach will try to zing you back...and the escalation begins.
Silence can never be misquoted...it is a good motto to go by...saves a lot of grief in the long run.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, thanks for your keen insight. I think most of us would love to do this but understand the reprocussions. We're just bantering among the boys. If BBR really did it and got away with it, then I chalk one up for the Refs. If it would of backfired on him then I guess he jumped on a grenade for the team.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

"That's a foul, ref!"

"That's a foul, ref!"

Davism for this situation: "Coach, let's trade places. You come out here on the floor and ref, and I'll sit on the bench and act like a jackass."
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
You only add fuel to the fire by making that (and other) sarcastic comments back to coaches. I thouroughly understand the temptation of trying to get the last word in on a knucklehead coach, but from the standpoint of professionalism, comments such as these are UNACCEPTABLE!!!
I believe if we as officials do not hold ourselves to higher standards than the coaches, then we are no better. I for one would like to think I handle these situations with dignity and professionalism. I just don't think comments such as these help the game or our relationship with the players or the coaches. Like I said earlier I fully understand the tempatation of firing back a quick zinger at a coach. I just think it is the wrong thing to do. Sooner or later the coach will try to zing you back...and the escalation begins.
Silence can never be misquoted...it is a good motto to go by...saves a lot of grief in the long run.
Why don't you go take a pill that allows you to have a sense of humor?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

a sense of humor is one thing, but deliberately bating a coach with a sarcastic remark is something different. Officiating is an art not a science. I believe there is a place for humor in the arsenal of an official. It is an important tool when used in the proper circumstances. Getting the last sarcastic word in is not in my opinion the right way to use humor as an official. It is healthy to disagree about such issues, for there is no correct answer, and officials everywhere will choose how and when and what to say in the heat of battle. Discussions such as these help officials to decide for themselves which is the best way to respond to coaches in the heat of the battle. Everyone must decide what works for them under tough circumstances. I was merely pointing out that one must be careful what is said, how it is said, and when it is said.
There are so many variables involved here. What is your relationship with the coach? the commisioner? the AD of the school? (when the coach complains about inappropriate remarks) do you want the reputation among coaches and AD's as a smart-a**? do you care? should you care? something to think about.....we all choose our own paths!!
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I like BBR's approach. Okay, some may find his words a tad sarcastic. If you believe it was, certainly you have to admit that as sarcasm goes, it's pretty mild and directed at the behavior, not the person.

But his basic technique is pretty sound. He approaches the coach during a break, rather than responding immediately to the irritant. In other words, it's a considered response rather than a reaction. He most likely did it quietly, one-on-one with the coach. He uses a touch of humor to say what he's got to say. He's non-confrontational about it. He's not looking to unload a zinger or to get the last word. He keeps the stop sign in his pocket in case he needs it later. Most importantly, it works. What's not to like?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref

I agree with you and I disagree with you. BBR will tell you that their are times when one can get away with what he said and times where one cannot get aways with what he said.

I doubt if I would ever make that comment during a H.S. varsity or college game, but at the jr. varsity level and below and AAU, YBOA, and etc. competition I would probably use such a line. One has to remember to pick your battles carefully.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you and I disagree with you. BBR will tell you that their are times when one can get away with what he said and times where one cannot get aways with what he said.

I doubt if I would ever make that comment during a H.S. varsity or college game, but at the jr. varsity level and below and AAU, YBOA, and etc. competition I would probably use such a line. One has to remember to pick your battles carefully.

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]

Precisely. Choose your battles and your opponents wisely.
I've never done it but I've heard the story of a top official in area using this one: ASStant Coach gets up and starts fussing about a call. Ref to Head Coach: you need to tell your bus drive to sit down and be quiet. I'm not where I could pull that one off but sure do appreciate that he was able to. Chalk one up for the Refs.