The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I know it's that time of year again....any of you veterans have suggestions to keep fit and healthy during our long season?

Less flu shots available....just another hurdle to prepare for when a good share of players are playing sick.

Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Proper preparation in the off-season is the key to staying healthy during the season. If you haven't kept in shape in the off-season, build up slowly.

Z
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure you stretch properly before and after every game, and resist the temptation of late night fast food on your drive home (the second is the one I struggle with).
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Make sure you stretch properly before and after every game, and resist the temptation of late night fast food on your drive home (the second is the one I struggle with).
I'm kind of a "natural health" guy. I agree with what the others have said, too. (especially the "fast food" stuff!). Consistent off-season exercise/conditioning coupled with a proper diet it the best "flu-shot" you can get. I do take daily doses of Noni Juice, OPC-3, ORAC, and a MultiVitamin along with eating a high protein/vitamin--low carb diet. The annual grind of a long basketball season seems to get tougher on me every year, but I've made significant changes in the aforementioned areas in the past few years and seem to have almost eliminated the annoying colds/runny noses/bronchitis/flu/etc.

Email if you want more specifics on my diet/routine. Good luck on a healthy season.

Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I could not agree with the off-season part more. I took some time off because of my job and was preparing to return next season. I contacted the association to see if they had any extra books I could purchase. Was told that because of the number of new schools and a stagnant membership number they could really use me this season. I thought about and decided to go for it. I worked 3 scrimmages in 3 days (about 8 games)...GEEZ, for a couple of days I felt like I was about 90. If is amazing how fast you back-slide physically...and nobody will ever convince me kids are not a LOT faster now than they were just a year ago.

Did find out that, even though I felt like my legs would fall off any minute, I was better off on rules, mechanics, etc. than I thought I would be.

Never ease up on preparing your mind and body...emphasis on never.