The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

A player that is in a marked lane space. May they break the plane of the lane line with their foot before the ball hits the rim, or do they actually have to make contact inside the lane before the ball hits rim for there to be a violation? Also what about the lines that mark the lane spaces, can they have their foot touching this line, or do they have to be entirely within their space? I am talking about NFHS rules.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
The player in a marked lane space only has to brake the plane(foot in the air). 9.1.9
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by shont
A player that is in a marked lane space. May they break the plane of the lane line with their foot before the ball hits the rim, or do they actually have to make contact inside the lane before the ball hits rim for there to be a violation? Also what about the lines that mark the lane spaces, can they have their foot touching this line, or do they have to be entirely within their space? I am talking about NFHS rules.
shont,
Do not break plane with feet before the rim. [Mileage may vary.]

Stay off the lines and blocks.
mick
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

the plane

If you are saying that they cannot raise their foot and break the plane then I guess they cannot break the plane by leaning forward over the line. That doesn't make much sense. If that is in fact the rule, has anyone ever called a violation on someone for leaning forward?
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your help everyone!

Shont
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
The rule says feet. So it's not anything to lean over.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: the plane

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
If you are saying that they cannot raise their foot and break the plane then I guess they cannot break the plane by leaning forward over the line.
Don't guess. Read 9-1-9.

And, the restrictions end when the ball hits either ther ring or the backboard (or the FT ends) -- the backboard part is often forgotten.

Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I like to guess sometimes. thanks for the reference.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: the plane

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
-- the backboard part is often forgotten.
Thanks, bob,
I know I forget that part!
mick
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

The rule and casebook is pretty clear on this. It's a violation for offensive players in marked spaces to break the vertical plane of the lane lines or block with their foot only. Other body parts across the planes are OK. The same principal applies to the shooter with the free-throw line and other players with the 3-point line and the free-thow line extended. If a defensive player violates it's of course a delayed violation(closed fist outward) and no call if it goes, a violation and re-try if it does not.

I would reference rules and case book for you as well but I don't have my books with me. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

Ken

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Two year's ago I created some bizarre plays to test an official's very detailed rules knowledge. One question on the test I created was:

While A1 is waiting to receive the ball to attempt a free throw, B1 and B2 in marked lane spaces bend over and touch their hands to the floor inside the free throw lane, while keeping their feet in the marked lane spaces. B1 and B2 remain in these positions while the official places the ball at the disposal of A1 and he attempts the free throw. If A1 misses, should a call be made? Explain.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Two year's ago I created some bizarre plays to test an official's very detailed rules knowledge. One question on the test I created was:

While A1 is waiting to receive the ball to attempt a free throw, B1 and B2 in marked lane spaces bend over and touch their hands to the floor inside the free throw lane, while keeping their feet in the marked lane spaces. B1 and B2 remain in these positions while the official places the ball at the disposal of A1 and he attempts the free throw. If A1 misses, should a call be made? Explain.
I assume there would be no violation since no FEET touched the lane. Do you have a rule reference for this example other than ones described above?

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kgruber
Quote:

I assume there would be no violation since no FEET touched the lane. Do you have a rule reference for this example other than ones described above?
Well, I was thinking that the player would be where they are touching. When touching two areas, one has priority over the other for determining location. I thought that they would be considered in the lane if they're touching both in and out. However, the rule that defines this concept lists only inbounds/out-of-bounds, frontcout/backcourt, and behind/in-front-of three point arc. It does not include the lane.

We could infer from that rule that the player touching the lane with a hand could be in the lane. However, there is nothing explicit in the rule that I've seen to support that.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by kgruber
Quote:

Well, I was thinking that the player would be where they are touching. When touching two areas, one has priority over the other for determining location. I thought that they would be considered in the lane if they're touching both in and out. However, the rule that defines this concept lists only inbounds/out-of-bounds, frontcout/backcourt, and behind/in-front-of three point arc. It does not include the lane.

We could infer from that rule that the player touching the lane with a hand could be in the lane. However, there is nothing explicit in the rule that I've seen to support that.
Somehow I keep getting this vision of a player prone in the lane with his feet outside the lane....
mick