The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

A1 is handed the ball by the official during a throw-in. A1 moves horizontally approximately (2) feet. A1 is guilty of a throw-in violation.

True or false?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

the answer is false, reference case 7.6.2. the player may move backwards or forwards within a 3 foot wide designated area. the player may also move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the bal is released.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
A1 is handed the ball by the official during a throw-in. A1 moves horizontally approximately (2) feet. A1 is guilty of a throw-in violation.

True or false?
True as per 7-6-2 Assuming a designated spot throw in.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

yeah, i just thought about that after I posted the reference. you never know what they are referring to sometimes on those tests.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

True or false?
True as per 7-6-2 Assuming a designated spot throw in.
Oops thinking of something else. Roseann Roseanna Danna said never mind.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I interpret "A1 moves horizontally" as A1 moving parallel to the OOB line. If this is the case then I would say that the answer is true. If you have 3 feet and I'm assuming the player is handed the ball in the middle of this three foot area (which gives him a foot on each side) then if A1 moves two feet right or left he will be out of the area.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

but depending how big his/her feet are he/she may still have one foot on or over that designated spot. that is how they try to trick you.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I'm assuming the player is handed the ball in the middle of this three foot area (which gives him a foot on each side) then if A1 moves two feet right or left he will be out of the area.
I don't think that's a safe assumption. If A1 is standing right next to you, and you hand the ball off, and then A1 moves to a spot three feet away from you, then he's still legal, I think. He's defined the 3 foot area as though he had started at one end instead of the middle. Nothing says he can't do that.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I don't think that's a safe assumption. If A1 is standing right next to you, and you hand the ball off, and then A1 moves to a spot three feet away from you, then he's still legal, I think. He's defined the 3 foot area as though he had started at one end instead of the middle. Nothing says he can't do that.
I see what you mean but I disagree. If this was the case then a player would really have 6 feet with which he could decide to move.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

The answer is false.

The thrower has 3 feet in which he can move around. There's nothing that says the thrower gets 18" to either side of the middle of where he is standing. He could be standing on one end of the spot. As long as at least one foot is within 3 feet of where the official designated, he's legal.

If he moves over three feet from where he originally was, he's violated.

Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Oops thinking of something else. Roseann Roseanna Danna said never mind.
Emily Litella said, "Nevermind."

Not Roseann Roseanna Danna.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Not Roseann Roseanna Danna.
Shoot. You beat me to it. Right comedianne; wrong character.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Well I guess I learned something new today. The three foot area is not determined by the official but by the thrower in.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Not Roseann Roseanna Danna. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's always something
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The answer is false.

The thrower has 3 feet in which he can move around. There's nothing that says the thrower gets 18" to either side of the middle of where he is standing. He could be standing on one end of the spot. As long as at least one foot is within 3 feet of where the official designated, he's legal.

If he moves over three feet from where he originally was, he's violated.

If the official designates a single spot, then allowing the player to move his trailing foot to a point 3 feet on either side of that point is allowing the thrower a 6 foot box.

I do agree that the player can effectively move a great distance without violating and that the player's initial point may or may not be the center of the spot.

Let's say that the throwin spot is precisely at the division line. Thrower moves left such that the edge of his right foot is 2'11.9" from the division line extended. Has he violated? Maybe...up to the official's interpretation of that spot. Now, if the player then moves right such that the trailing edge of his left foot is just 1" on the other size of the division line, that player has most certainly violated. The total size of the box used is greater than 3'. He can't go so far as to have his left foot 3 feet past the division line...that would be a 6' box.