The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Team A has 7 or 8 players foul out, and with about 20 seconds to go in the game have only one player, A1, left on the floor. Team A is leading by 7 points at this time, so they certainly still have a chance to win the game. A1 fouls B1, and B1 now goes to the line for a one and bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, but naturally team A can't fill the other first spot. B1 misses his first free throw.

What's the call?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Team A has 7 or 8 players foul out, and with about 20 seconds to go in the game have only one player, A1, left on the floor. Team A is leading by 7 points at this time, so they certainly still have a chance to win the game. A1 fouls B1, and B1 now goes to the line for a one and bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, but naturally team A can't fill the other first spot. B1 misses his first free throw.

What's the call?
Play on -- no violation on A.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Nice one.

By rule both spots must be filled. But with only one player how can I enforce that rule? Actually, there should be no shot until both are filled... therefore, I think you've already made your decision of NO VIOLATION. So play on. Good Luck A1 - get the rebound and stall.

I wouldn't want to be the official on the floor with my arm out for the free-throw violation and letting some slacker shoot until he makes two. Then give the ball to A1 to attempt a throw-in as all of Team B backs away to the division line and plays dodge-ball.... and no time clicks off the clock. Ooohh let's do this some more.

It's a good thing you are the Ref, JR, so you can make these tough, beyond the rule book, decisions.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

What's the call?
This happened to you last night? Are is this an anticipatory question?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

must of been a rough one!!! :)

i believe it would be a violation and they would shoot until they made both free throws... But not for sure...just going by what the rules say... would hate to have a game like that!!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

What's the call?
This happened to you last night? Are is this an anticipatory question?
Nope, it's just a "what if" question. And it's got some differing answers so far.

What's your's?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's the call?
I'd hate to have the stripes on...but it'd be fun to watch!!!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216
Quote:

What's the call?
You still haven't said what you think that the call should be though.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216
Quote:

What's the call?
You still haven't said what you think that the call should be though.
I'm a "let 'em play" guy...no way I'd sit there and call violation after violation until the guy made two throws. If you're going to do that, you might as well just award them two points and give the ball to A!

Say "We've got two, guys..." and wish A good luck!

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
OK, but then how's A1 gonna throw the ball in?
Bounce if off an opponent (which they'd have to be pretty stupid to let that happen) or chuck it to the other end and hope that you can play defense long enough to run out the clock!

...I don't know, but like I said, It'd be fun to watch!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dodgeball - bounce it off of B1, get in bounds and go for the loose ball.

BTW - I would play on, but not allow B1 to get in the lower lane space opposite A1.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First time you throw it at a player, then you let them score. That should take 4 or 5 seconds off the clock. A1 takes the ball out, counts to four and throws the ball as high and as far as possible. If B gets the ball in the back court you let them score, if the ball goes OOB you let them score and then take it out and repeat.

That should eat up the 20 seconds with A winning. Now if coach B is smart and has timeouts, he's using them after the made baskets. If coach A is smart, A1 is right under the basket and is grabbing the ball right out of the net, giving B less time to call the TO.

[Edited by blindzebra on Nov 9th, 2004 at 04:16 PM]
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

What is likely to happen is B will try to miss the second free throw, to the side away from A1, so you could have the double violation of A not occupying both lane spaces and a violation on the shooter for being early or not hitting the rim, giving you an alternate possession throw in.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Anybody ever actually see this? I remember a game way, way back in HS when food poisoning hit our team at a tournament (Christmas time, I think) and we only had 5 guys healthy enough to play. Three fouled out and we played the last 2 min. or so with me and one other kid on the court - and he had 4 fouls...we still won by 4 or 5 points...never seen a game go down to just one player left...

I'd go with the no violation and play on after any misses... A's gotta throw it in somehow after a make...
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My thought is that if the rules allow a team to play with only one player, then you can't penalize that team for playing with only one player.

No violation. But as someone said, keep B2 out of the other low space.