The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

I used someone and the pronoun one instead of you purposely. My thought was mostly disbelief. YOU took it as a personal attack. YOU also seemed to be rather ungrateful to Mick, who took the time to cite the best Case Book play dealing with possible unsporting behavior from throwing the ball at an opponent during the course of the game (Throw-in strikes opponent in face 10.3.7SitB) and even gave you a good rule of thumb, "basketball play", for making the decision that this play says the administering official will have to make.

YOU could only be flippant and come back with where is the term "basketball play" in the book. Have you never heard this term used by an official before?

JR, then further supported Mick by quoting a play that has nothing to do with unsporting behavior, but tells you that once the ball touches an opponent it is legal to dribble again.

I still can't believe that you or ANYONE else could have been officiating for eight years and not become aware of these Case Book plays. Do you not buy a NFHS Case Book each season where you are? Is your only source of information what other officials tell you is legal or illegal?
If my tone seemed harsh to you, it is because I have taken the time to familiarize myself with the rules which guide us in these kind of situations and think about how I will call these plays if they ever do arise in a game of mine. Therefore, I harbor some resentment towards officials who haven't bothered to do the same, but choose to take the court year-after-year unprepared.

Then again, perhaps I am being too tough on you. This is your first posting on the board and you are afterall making an effort to learn, and say that you like to get into the rules. You just struck a nerve with me when JR gave you the best answers and you still disagreed with him. Good luck to you.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 9th, 2004 at 02:20 AM]
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:17am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb It was JR.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I used someone and the pronoun one instead of you purposely. My thought was mostly disbelief. YOU took it as a personal attack. YOU also seemed to be rather ungrateful to Mick, who took the time to cite the best Case Book play dealing with possible unsporting behavior from throwing the ball at an opponent during the course of the game (Throw-in strikes opponent in face 10.3.7SitB) and even gave you a good rule of thumb, "basketball play", for making the decision that this play says the administering official will have to make.
Nevadaref,
It was JR that gave the pertinent information.
I was merely along for the ride.
mick
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Oops, you're right. I didn't see the originally posted by at the top of your post.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]

Yes, DII Tech Men will skirmish Wolverines today.

[/B][/QUOTE]Not too shabby. Held the big boys to 60 points and rebounded well against them.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 02:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Yes, DII Tech Men will skirmish Wolverines today.

[/B]
Not too shabby. Held the big boys to 60 points and rebounded well against them. [/B][/QUOTE]

YU.P.
Got whupped 43-60.
30.4% shooting and 6-24 from the arc.
An "Awesome opportunity" to play the NIT champs in that setting. - MTU Coach