The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbound pass (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16309-inbound-pass.html)

kltuck Sat Nov 06, 2004 01:15pm

What does everybody think of the inbound play where player 'A' on the inbounding team bounces the inbound pass off of player 'B's back then steps in picks up the ball and scores? I can argue it 20 different ways. I can see reasons for it to be considered both legal and illegal.

Jurassic Referee Sat Nov 06, 2004 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by kltuck
What does everybody think of the inbound play where player 'A' on the inbounding team bounces the inbound pass off of player 'B's back then steps in picks up the ball and scores? I can argue it 20 different ways. I can see reasons for it to be considered both legal and illegal.

What reasons do you see for it being illegal? :confused:

Btw, welcome to the forum.

BktBallRef Sat Nov 06, 2004 01:52pm

As long as the thrower is inbounds when he touches the ball, there's absolutely nothing illegal about this play.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 6th, 2004 at 01:55 PM]

Back In The Saddle Sat Nov 06, 2004 08:31pm

If the defender intentionally touches it, and the thrower gets it back (inbounds, of course), it's a good play. So why would it be different if the defender touches it unintentionally?

bob jenkins Sat Nov 06, 2004 09:21pm

Quote:

I can argue it 20 different ways.

I can only argue it a few ways:

1) It is legal.
2) Legal is it.
3) Legal it is.
4) Is legal, it.
5) It legal is.

mick Sat Nov 06, 2004 09:38pm

Quote:

I can argue it 20 different ways. I can see reasons for it to be considered both legal and illegal.

kltuck,
Welcome to the forum.
Like the men implied, nuthin' to argue about.
mick

williebfree Sat Nov 06, 2004 09:53pm

Welcome to The Forum

I truly am curious as to the argument of this play being "illegal."

Some might argue that it is "unsportsmanlike", but that is not illegal.

mick Sat Nov 06, 2004 09:57pm

Re: Welcome to The Forum

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree
I truly am curious as to the argument of this play being "illegal."

Some might argue that it is "unsportsmanlike", but that is not illegal.

williebfree,
Shucks! All it is... is poor defense.
The only guy that wants it illegal is a poor coach. ;)
mick

williebfree Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:25pm

Thanks Mick

However, I am still curious. What is the logic for a contrary argument? Or more importantly, what rules would be used to support the counterpoint? What are the "reasons" for it to be considered illegal.

Isn't it interesting that a coach would "argue" against the rules of the game.... :D

Ed Maeder Sun Nov 07, 2004 01:02am

I personaly think it is quite refreshing to see this play. It is nothing but a smart play by the inbounding team and we all know that doing smart things in sports is not a prerequisite.

rainmaker Sun Nov 07, 2004 01:23am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Maeder
It is nothing but a smart play ...
...it's smart if they pull it off. Incredibly stupid otherwise!

kltuck Sun Nov 07, 2004 07:06am

Wow great response. Thanks

I guess I was kind of leaning toward the unsportsmanlike. Lat year in a summer league I saw a kid being smart and through the ball at an opponent just trying to start something. He was dribbling fancy, the other team was way behind, he was showing off. The crowd went wild and the ref didn't call anything. Everyone was irate, wanting a 'T' or flagrant. The ref told me there wasn't a rule against it. Well, I guess same thing applies. Do you get in things like how hard was it thrown? Is it taunting? Then it stands to reason that I could dribble the full length of the floor, pick up my dribble, throw the ball at an opponent's back, and resume my dribble, Right? I guess I just never thought of it. Please respond to the last statement.
Thanks

kltuck Sun Nov 07, 2004 07:07am

Spelling

Yeah, Yeah, through - threw. I was in a hurry.

kltuck Sun Nov 07, 2004 07:12am

Coach?

By the way I'm an 8 year ref that spends way too much time in the books waiting for that one rule that's gonna kill me on the floor ... not a coach. I just find a lot of enjoyment tearing apart all possibilities.

I guess my only real questions is is it legal to throw a ball intentionally at an opponent. Not an errant pass or a poor shot attempt but an intentional striking an opponent with the ball. Sounds like it is.

Jurassic Referee Sun Nov 07, 2004 08:20am

Quote:

I guess my only real questions is is it legal to throw a ball intentionally at an opponent. Not an errant pass or a poor shot attempt but an intentional striking an opponent with the ball. Sounds like it is.

It's legal if it's a "basketball" play, such as the one that you described in your first post. That play was used to gain an advantage that is legal by rule,and it isn't an unsporting act. If an official thought that the act of deliberately throwing the ball at an opponent was unsporting and was done to taunt or maybe hurt an opponent , then a "T" certainly could be called- even a flagrant "T". Iow, it's a judgement call on the official's part. Casebook play 10.3.7SitB gives you a little guidance.