Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It will be on Power Point.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
Any chance we can get a copy of that presentation? Is it in powerpoint or will you be videotaping?
Sure. I can email it to you after I am finished. It will have some specific information as it relates to IHSA Procedures and the playoff system. But if you give me an email, I can send it to you after Saturday. I am still working on some points and will not be done until later in the week.

[email protected]

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Come on.

That has to be some of the biggest bunch of crap I have heard in a long time Larry. If someone feels small by working what they want, then they need to find another hobby.

Rut,

Set very specific goals and specific expectations. Then tell them to find out how to accomplish those goals.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

I'm sure you have this in your presentation already based on past posts, but make sure they know how important it is to be decent, genuine and tactful with their fellow refs. In our association, we have a couple guys who are just real buttonheads. They call a pretty good game, but they have managed to rub everyone the wrong way over the past few years (usually off the court, sometimes on the court). They are always rated below their true officiating ability (we do peer ratings here).

I'm not one who buys into the schmoozing stuff (I ascended without joining the Friday night after-game beer gathering that many of our officials attend) to advance, but if you're a jerk to other officials enough times, it will definitely bite you in the butt. No different than being a buttonhead to your co-workers at a job... it will get you in the long run.

Z
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 08:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Red and Blue States I guess.

Z,

What are you talking about?

Sometimes the more you keep posting, the more I realize that you are on another sphere than anyone I come in contact with.

I have never been around anyone that gets upset over the term "kiddy ball." My first game was a 5th and 6th grade and that was the term used when I accepted the game. I have used the term ever since in many capacities over the years. I have never had anyone get upset when I used the term.

I guess there are some people that just need to lighten up and stop taking this so seriously. Remember this for the most part a hobby. It is not anything more than that. And most of the people I talk to in meeting after meeting are approaching assignors and veteran officials as to how to get games outside of kiddy ball. Even the young officials lessen the experience they have when they introduce themselves to a large group. There was just someone last night that said, "I only have worked kiddy ball." Amazingly, not a single person gasped or tried to throw things at him.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

What are you talking about? I didn't get offended about kiddy ball. You posted and asked for input to your presentation on this thread. I gave a post originally trying to help you out. Take it or leave it, I don't care either way. You got into a debate about your term of kiddy ball with somebody else, not me. Your rant about somebody getting offended by that term has nothing to do with me so how did I get dragged into that?

Then earlier this evening, I read the replies to your original post again and it made me think of some guys in our group who really want to move up but have alienated everyone that could help them do that. So I posted again, thinking you might have some of those type in your area too.

Instead of appreciating my attempts to help you, you go off on me and get all defensive. Did you think I was talking about you? I wasn't. I wouldn't insinuate that it was you in some vague post. Believe me, if I wanted to address something you did or said, I'd do it directly not by insinuation

Good grief, sorry for trying to help. I'll just avoid your threads from now on. Debating rules and scenarios is one thing, but when you request input and I try to help and you go off on me... geez, I give up. Just plain bizarre.

Z
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink You will be OK.

Relax, take a deep breathe. It will be alright.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Is it the meds or the election that has you so angry?

Z
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

The election was to be expected.

I am high on life. Why would I be upset with an election when I know how stupid the people of this country can be? I find it amazing that the very people that got actually hit with the terrorist attack voted against the very person that claims he has to support the troops and a leader on the fight against terror. Then all the states that have no chance to get hit with a terrorist attack voted for this clown. I guess it goes to show why people do not want to go to Mississippi?

That is OK, it will be their kids dying.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

One thing which is key, asking

How will any assignor know you want to move up if you don't ask. The worst they can do is say no, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Also, try to go a bit on factors beyond your control which may stop you from moving up, i.e. demanding job, or the big one, age.

I've been working kiddy-ball for the last 4 years, with the hopes of someday getting a high school game, I've learned the rules, gone to camps but the one thing that's keeping me from moving up is my age. If there are any younger officials try to let them know their time will come one day, but they might have to wait a little longer for it.

My grandmother has a saying,

"get in there like a dirty shirt" meaning market yourself. That's another key part to moving up, if no-one knows who you are then you won't get too far.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: The election was to be expected.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am high on life. Why would I be upset with an election when I know how stupid the people of this country can be? I find it amazing that the very people that got actually hit with the terrorist attack voted against the very person that claims he has to support the troops and a leader on the fight against terror. Then all the states that have no chance to get hit with a terrorist attack voted for this clown. I guess it goes to show why people do not want to go to Mississippi?

That is OK, it will be their kids dying.

Peace
Sigh.

Somebody tell Jeff this is why his side lost so badly.

I'm too confused wondering why he thinks it's OK for someone's kid to die.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Please, please, please, let's not discuss the war or the election. I'm depressed enough already.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:18am
Do not give a damn!!

You asked for it.....you got it.......TOYOTA!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Sigh.

Somebody tell Jeff this is why his side lost so badly.

I'm too confused wondering why he thinks it's OK for someone's kid to die.
My life was barely affected by 9/11 as many other people that did not live in New York if they are honest with themselves. I am not a person that is fearful of terrorist coming to get me. It is not going to be my children that will die in Iraq or any other place in the world because we had to get Saddam Hussain.

I just like people to get what they ask for. You wanted the man that did not was AWOL and had the nerve to criticize those that did like Gore, Kerry and McCain. You got exactly what you asked for, I hope you get it.

Happy war.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

JRutledge...Dude, chill.

I wasn't "offended" by the term kiddy ball...just think it sounded arrogant. Just my opinion, geez...we can agree to disagree on that.

Your first post did not indicate that this presentation was to be at a camp targeting officials that want to advance to a higher level...maybe if I had been reading threads the last year I would have known that. That context certainly makes a difference, at least to me. I have seen similar presentations given at a camp for officials with less than 3 years experience. That is a group, for the most part, that have to work JH, sub-varsity and rec ball just to get experience. Given that many areas need officials it would probably not be a good idea to demean and belittle the level they will be forced to work.

Trust me, I have no desire to work JH ball. Probably will work some this coming summer because my son is interested in officiating after this semester of grad school. Figure I will work with him and offer any help I can. Other than that, I won't solicit that level...may bail out a freind...but wont solicit.

It is great that you want to help others reach their goals. Mine is a good varsity schedule and playoffs...but that is only because I started late and had to take time off because of job conflicts. By the time I would be ready to attempt a move past that, I would probably be too old for an assignor to consider.

Sorry if my tone was offensive. Hope your presentation goes well.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Larry,

I do not know of any camps that are not geared to moving up or learning how to move up. Most of the camps in my area are geared almost entirely to 3 Person mechanics when you work on the floor. This camp is geared toward levels, but the back drop is so officials can learn what it takes to get better and get a better schedule in the future.

BTW, this is a HS camp. The officials here are not going to this to maintain their Junior High schedules. I work some JH over the year in season and in the off season. When I work any lower level game, I am asked questions about how to move up or giving recommendations to help those move up. This is the reason this topic was suggested. BTW, it was not my idea. I just agreed to speak on the topic.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Presentation copy

My email is [email protected]. I would love a copy of it. Thanks.

Kris
Closed Thread