The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will be doing a presentation on the topic "Moving up," this Saturday. I have the presentation all finished and set. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggested points, comments or topics that I might add or make sure I mention.

I just need some general information. I do not need specific things to your state. I just need some tips that I might mention and talk about.

Thank you in advance.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Some "non-officiating" aspects of moving up:

Being available time-wise
Being in the right physical location
Being honest with your assignors
Being good with people and confident of yourself.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Here are some things

1. Hang out with successful people, not compainers
2. Work hard every game. You never know who is watching
3. Go to camps and work in the off season
4. Help train people that are not at your level.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Professionalism. On and off the court.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
"Remember, there are no guarantees. No one has promised you that you deserve to move up. If you don't make it, don't turn into a complainer."
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Just remember that there are different definitions on what "moving up" means. We have great officials in our assoc who have no college aspirations. Some of our older officials are quite content with doing a partial schedule of games and don't even have HS district or state playoff aspirations anymore. Some of our officials have limited availability and will probably never "move up" to the highest HS levels but they all help us do a good job with our schools and fill all our games with quality refs.

Z
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Good post Z.

"Moving up" means different things to different people, even assuming you want to "move up".
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Z,

I am not trying to define what it means for everyone. I am addressing a group that is not quite at the varsity level. This portion of the camp is not for guys that are trying to work kiddy ball the rest of their career. It is for people that want to advance in the HS system as well and possibly beyond. I will address things like you suggest, but I am not talking to people that only want to work kiddy ball.

The type of official that you are describing is usually the exception. Most officials that are members of HS Associations have goals to advance to the varsity to the NBA. Most people do not have a real grasp as to how to get to the next level and this is one of the reasons for this camp.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Don't forget to study, and not just the rulebook. Go to games on nights you aren't working, or stay for the Varsity contest and observe those that have already moved up. There is a lot to learn, both positive and negative, by just watching others work.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Be genuinely happy for your colleagues who do move up. When "promotion" passes you over, behave the way you want others to act when you move up and they get passed over.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 03:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Here's some creative tension to give the audience: Be content with where you are right now - in terms of working every game you get as if it's the biggest game of the season...but don't be complacent - find out what you need to do to be a better official and work on those things...
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

13 Keys to moving up the ladder from Don Dailey (Gerry Pollard's Camp - June 2004)
1) Know thyself - Don't dxpect to move up if you're not the best where you are right now.
2) Do it for your reasons.
3) Be a complete person.
4) Family is important.
5) Don't be a legend in your own mind.
6) Practice professionalism.
7) Tell it like it is.
8) Take care of your health.
9) Communication is golden.
10) Improve your knowledge.
11) Be a team player.
12) Control your attitude.
13) Loyalty & integrity are the keys.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

...but I am not talking to people that only want to work kiddy ball.

Wow..."kiddy ball"? I remember you being a very insightful contributor, sounding like you are someone who is on top of his game and an excellent official. But "kiddy ball" sounds a little arrogant.

The stud officials cannot call every varstiy game. The stud players that the stud officials hope to call at the D1 level had to start somewhere.

Maybe something to mention is to be careful not to belittle the contributions of everyone that loves our game...be they player, coach or official. Don't walk around like you are the greatest thing to step on the floor. Since you aren't, others will be turned off by you.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 06:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS

Wow..."kiddy ball"? I remember you being a very insightful contributor, sounding like you are someone who is on top of his game and an excellent official. But "kiddy ball" sounds a little arrogant.
Larry, you are offended by the term "kiddy ball?"

Quote:
The stud officials cannot call every varstiy game. The stud players that the stud officials hope to call at the D1 level had to start somewhere.
Is there a bug up your behind today?

Quote:
Maybe something to mention is to be careful not to belittle the contributions of everyone that loves our game...be they player, coach or official. Don't walk around like you are the greatest thing to step on the floor. Since you aren't, others will be turned off by you.
For your information Larry I gave this presentation in a shorter version last week. Not a single person was offended or came up to me and said anything about being upset. The reason this topic is being used because guys that "work kiddy ball" are always asking officials at higher levels how they get there. They ask guys how to get to the college level. They wonder how they get in the playoffs. That is what my presentation is about.

Also, there was an assignor that held a meeting this past spring that was optional to those that worked his conference. There was about 40-60 official showed up to this meeting, all to know how they can improve their schedule in this particular assignor's conference. I attended to see what was being said and just get some information. The 2 hour meeting was a bunch of people asking "how they get a varsity schedule?" It was not "how do I work more Grammar school ball?" I am sick and tired of guys like you that seem to get offended because someone does not show interest in working a JH game the rest of their career. This camp is geared towards HS officials that want to advance or learn from experienced officials so they can work more games at the higher level. This track of the camp that my presentation is in is geared towards these types of officials. If they are offended by that, they probably should keep their money and work the many kiddy ball games that will be going on that day. It is not any more admirable to work a JH game as it is a varsity game. I only work around 3 games a week and that is enough with work and other responsibilities in my life. I apologize that is not enough for you.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Copy?

Any chance we can get a copy of that presentation? Is it in powerpoint or will you be videotaping?
Closed Thread