The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Recent situation in prep game last week: Score is B65 and A59. A is in team possession and drives toward the basket. He shoots and is fouled in the act of shooting. The shot does not go in. B42 slaps (in the opinion of the trail official) the backboard deliberately. The trail T's up B42 for the slap. To the trail's way of thinking, there can be NO DOUBT of B42's intent to slap the glass. In all the hubbub, A14 attempts the free throws and makes 1 of 2. He (A14) then attempts both T's and converts 2 of 2. Coach of B vociferously complains that A14 was NOT the correct shooter. He insists A4 was the shooter. The officials confer with the scorers bench who aptly point out that A4, and not A14, is the shooter. The error is deemed correctable. A4 goes to the line and makes 2 of 2. Coach of B screams that both T's need to be repeated as the incorrent shooter on the personals nullifies the converted technical foul shots as the entire sequence was disturbed, and "the whole damn thing" needs repeated. The officials look at each other and mutter "no way." The ball is put into play by A at the division line. Ruling; commentary?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 04:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Sounds like everything was done fine. The foul shots for the T do not have to be re-done. That is kinda funny actually.

The officials were correct, this is a correctable error, as the clock has not properly started, as in 2-10-2.

The error is by the wrong player, as in 2-10-3, but activity during it other than techical fouls, among others, are not canceled.

You simply continue the game, in this case (as there has been no change in team control), from the point of interruption, as in 2-10-6.

..Mike

Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 08:44am
Suppref

Thumbs up

This ia another reason to have a good pregame chat. I always ask my partner to help me with the shooter, I don't always need it but, for the few times I do it's good to have the help!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

You did it right!!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joec
...The officials confer with the scorers bench...

Hmmmm?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Wait a second....

When it is determined that A4 is the "shooter", Isn't A14 T'd for an unsportsmalike.... Knowingly shooting for another player. (10-3-6 f)

Or am I misintrepretting this scenario?
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 12:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: Wait a second....

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
When it is determined that A4 is the "shooter", Isn't A14 T'd for an unsportsmalike.... Knowingly shooting for another player. (10-3-6 f)

Or am I misintrepretting this scenario?
Yes, I think so. So long as the officials know for sure that A4 is the shooter.

..Mike
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

After a confusing play like this (one of our own making)
A T for shooting another players FT is really a bad idea.
How do we know they did it intentionally? Maybe they thought
they were shooting the T first? One thing the officials didn't do is come together after the intitial T was called.
When ever you have more than one thing to report to the table the officials should come together and talk out how
they will procede. This allows for a concise report to the table, a cool down time for any emotional T's, it helps us get our head back into the game and keeps us from doing STUPID things. Let the official who had the first call start

lead what did you have? I had illegal use on B15, A4 will shoot 2,what do you have? I had illegal contact with the board 2 shots and the ball at the division line for A.

Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

NF 2-10-5

"Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified."