Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
The breaking the plane vs dislodging the ball is a tough one to handle. Any delay is a team T, this is what breaking the plane is-delay. When you dislodge the ball, the player gets the T becuause they caused the contact.

I had a play last year where A already had a warning for delay. A1 reached through and smacked the ball out of B1's hands while she was trying to inbound.

Feeling charitable I called it a team T, instead of a player T (it was middle school, I figured why punish her more). I told the coach she broke the plane, before she dislodged the ball. I guess it could have gone either way, I chose not to single her out.

I have to agree with Kelvin. According to Page 72, 'delay of game' and 'reaching thru the plane to dislodge the ball' are both listed as individual T's. Not team T's.

However, upon further review, I see what Bob is talking about on page 72. Evidently the 'delaying game' reference under "Players" is...........is what. How is this any different than 'violation after warning for delay. Can someone explain how a player would get T'd for delaying game but it not be covered under 'violation after warning for delay'? If it was sufficient to delay yet not warrant a warning first, wouldn't this be a flagrent situation and fall under 'unsportsmanlike'?

[Edited by thadrus on Feb 1st, 2001 at 08:51 AM]