Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Players are authorized to play basketball. Wherever the ball may be, the players are authorized to go.

Even during a throw-in?
Yes. For at least one of them and up to 5 of them.
[/b]

Whatinthehell are you talking about? Since when can a defensive player go OOB to be where the ball is on a throw-in? Or even a second offensive player on a spot throw-in?

Quote:
Quote:

If the ball is heading OOB, all players are authorized to attempt to save it. The player's intent is NOT to go OOB but to save the ball. The act of going OOB is secondary to the play...even if the action which carried him/her OOB is purposeful.
Despite the specific wording of the ncaa rules? If they want us to use the player's INTENT to judge the play why did they use "under his/her own volition" in the new wording?
Unless a player is pushed OOB, all the actions that may carry them OOB are of their on volition at some point.

The difference are clear in my mind (some might say clear as the Mississippi River).

The difference is that one category is an attempt to gain an advantage by being OOB while the in the other being OOB is an after effect.

Diving for a loose ball or momentem after a shot are inbounds plays on a live ball that may or may not result in the player being OOB. There is no advantage gained by ending up OOB. Running OOB around a screen is using OOB to gain the advantage. [/B][/QUOTE]

What?

The rule says exactly nothing about an advantage.

It merely says if you go OOB on your own volition it's a violation.

Or a T is you do so to deceive...whatever *that* means...
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What?

Please describe a play that you'd rule as legal (not a T by rule) last year and a violation this year.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
What?

Please describe a play that you'd rule as legal (not a T by rule) last year and a violation this year.
I already said I believe the intent of the rule rewording and changes is to simply lower the penalty, so the answer is there is none.

However, if I happen to lose my magic decoder ring I would be very, very confused about what constitutes a violation now under the new wording simply because there are legitimate *basketball* plays where a player goes OOB on his own volition. Like A1 jumping over the table to save the ball from going OOB.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the intent of the change was to only change the penalty.

As I've tried to state, the difference between an infraction and no infraction is the reason they went OOB.

The only action that takes them OOB that is not, to any degree, of their on "volition" is being pushed. All other actions are, at least in part, volitional.

I think the difference it whether they're trying to play the ball and going OOB is a result or whether the act of going OOB is an attempt to gain an advantage upon returning.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Players are authorized to play basketball. Wherever the ball may be, the players are authorized to go.

Even during a throw-in?
Yes. For at least one of them and up to 5 of them.

Whatinthehell are you talking about? Since when can a defensive player go OOB to be where the ball is on a throw-in? Or even a second offensive player on a spot throw-in?
[/B]
I never said anything about defense or offense nor specifically a spot throw-in. The context was "players" and "throw-in". Of the 10 players on the floor, at least one of them is allowed OOB on the throwin (the thrower) and, if it is not a designated spot throwin, 5 players are allowed OOB (the entire team of the thrower).