The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

As the half is ending, a player tries a long shot from his own free throw line. The ball is way short and indeed it bounces on the far free throw line as the buzzer sounds ... and bounces into the basket. Does it count?
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by wildcardcis
As the half is ending, a player tries a long shot from his own free throw line.
Fifteen feet doesn't seem like a very long shot. . .

Quote:
The ball is way short and indeed it bounces on the far free throw

What?? He threw it the wrong way!!!

Quote:
and bounces into the basket. Does it count?
He better hope not!
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 06:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
As the half is ending, a player tries a long shot from his own free throw line. The ball is way short and indeed it bounces on the far free throw line as the buzzer sounds ... and bounces into the basket. Does it count?
Don't mind my confrere, the Chuckster. He's just a little mad at the whole world this morning, but he'll start getting over it in a coupla months. Maybe.

The point that he was making is that your own free throw line is the one that you shoot free throws from, by rules definition, not the "far" one. It doesn't matter where he throws it from in this particular case though. The shot ended when it bounced(actually as soon as it went below rim level), so the ball now become dead when the buzzer sounds(as it is no longer a shot). You can't score with a dead ball, therefore no basket.

Again, please accept a group apology on behalf of all of us here over the treatment that you received from our grumpy little compatriot. Unfortunately, for Chuck, it's not that time of the month, but it IS that time of the year!
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Okay, okay, I take no offense but I really meant he shot from the "far" free throw line and it bounced on "his own" free throw line (even though that's now what I said).

Let me pose a variation, though ... if the buzzer had not sounded until after the ball was back in the air (or above rim level, or had gone in), THEN would it have counted?

Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 08:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Okay, okay, I take no offense but I really meant he shot from the "far" free throw line and it bounced on "his own" free throw line (even though that's now what I said).

Let me pose a variation, though ... if the buzzer had not sounded until after the ball was back in the air (or above rim level, or had gone in), THEN would it have counted?

We knew what you meant; you just phrased it incorrectly according to the actual standard rule book terminology in use. We get kinda anal about that sometimes.

The answer is still nope, as long as the original shot(try) had ended before the horn sounded. A shot(try) ends when it is certain that the ball can't go in or the ball hits the floor. To count, the original shot(try) must still be in process in the air when the horn sounds.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, okay, I take no offense
I'm glad. I wasn't cranky, just making a point, "anal" as it may be.

Quote:
Let me pose a variation, though ...
JR gave you the right answer for your variation, but let me pose one of my own. If it's obvious, then please forgive me, but here goes.

If the bounced ball (not really a "try", as JR pointed out) goes in the basket before the horn or a whistle sounds, then it's 2 points. Even though the "try" ended when the ball hit the floor, it's still a live ball, so if it goes in, you'd still credit the team with the two points. And it's only two points, even if the original try came from beyond the 3-point arc.

And in yet another variation, if the ball bounces (so it's not a "try") up onto the rim or in the cylinder and is touched by a player, then that's basket interference -- even tho it's not a shot or "try". If the defense touched it, give 2 points to the offense. If the offense touched it, the ball is dead and no points are scored.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
And in yet another variation, if the ball bounces (so it's not a "try") up onto the rim or in the cylinder and is touched by a player, then that's basket interference -- even tho it's not a shot or "try". If the defense touched it, give 2 points to the offense. If the offense touched it, the ball is dead and no points are scored.
[/B][/QUOTE]And in yet another variation, if the ball bounces (so it's not a try) up towards the rim, is on the way down above the rim but is still outside the cone, and looks like it is going to definitely go through the rim, what is the call if a member of the defense now touches it? Or if a member of the offense now touches it? Why in both cases?

Shhhhhh, Chuck.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'll give it a "shot". The try ends when the ball touches the floor. So if the bounce is on the way down but outside the cylinder, the try is over and is no longer a shot.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 05:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
I'll give it a "shot". The try ends when the ball touches the floor. So if the bounce is on the way down but outside the cylinder, the try is over and is no longer a shot.
True, but do you call goaltending or not if the live ball that bounced is on the way down again and has a chance to go in the basket when it is now touched?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While a try touching the floor is indeed one criteria that can end a try, it ends before that....when it is certain that it will be unsucessful. They may even occur at any point after it is released. For example, a full court shot that is clearly going to land several feet before basket is over as soon as that can be determined.

I'll defer on the GT question to not spoil JR's fun.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
True, but do you call goaltending or not if the live ball that bounced is on the way down again and has a chance to go in the basket when it is now touched?
No. You cannot goaltend if it not a try.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
No. You cannot goaltend if it not a try.
How about if the bounce is over the cylinder when the defense touches it?
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Goaltending.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Goaltending.
Close but no cigar. I may have already provided the answer to Tony's question earlier in the thread. . .
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

So...more accurately "basket interference'?

"If the defense touched it, give 2 points to the offense. If the offense touched it, the ball is dead and no points are scored."

Right?