The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Something in one of the threads about coaches made me think of something strange that happened early last season.This was just a jv boys game pre-league at that.I was the lead following a fast break down the court with my partner still in the backcourt.Player "A" went up for a lay up and was fouled as a started to blow my whistle I heard my partner blow his whistle in the backcourt just before my whistle.I got with my partner and he said he had a "T" on "Bs" coach.My partner said the coach was out of the coaching box and complaining so administered the "T" and the foul with no more problems.Afterwards the coach sent a one page typed letter to my house and my partner's house explaining in detail how he had watched tape of the game and how he said he was not out of the box when the "T" was called.We took the letter to our instructional chair and he was livid!I just wondered if anything like this ever happened to anyone else?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Something in one of the threads about coaches made me think of something strange that happened early last season.This was just a jv boys game pre-league at that.I was the lead following a fast break down the court with my partner still in the backcourt.Player "A" went up for a lay up and was fouled as a started to blow my whistle I heard my partner blow his whistle in the backcourt just before my whistle.I got with my partner and he said he had a "T" on "Bs" coach.My partner said the coach was out of the coaching box and complaining so administered the "T" and the foul with no more problems.Afterwards the coach sent a one page typed letter to my house and my partner's house explaining in detail how he had watched tape of the game and how he said he was not out of the box when the "T" was called.We took the letter to our instructional chair and he was livid!I just wondered if anything like this ever happened to anyone else?
Was it written with crayons?
mick
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Normally coaches here send a letter to the booking agent if they have a problem with an official or a game. I haven't heard of a coach sending a letter directly to an official.

Whether he was in the box or not is inmaterial. If he's complaining about the officiating, you have every right to whack him.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 28th, 2001 at 10:13 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 03:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Player "A" went up for a lay up and was fouled as a started to blow my whistle I heard my partner blow his whistle in the backcourt just before my whistle.I got with my partner and he said he had a "T" on "Bs" coach. My partner said the coach was out of the coaching box and complaining so administered the "T" and the foul with no more problems
The first problem here is that your partner blew his whistle for the T on Coach B while A1 was shooting a layup. He should have held his whistle until after the basket. This is in the casebook. You then would have administered the fouls in a different order (above you posted you administered the T, then the foul, I think) which would have resulted in team A getting the ball back. This is a harsher penalty and is one of the reasons for the case.

As to the coach writing a letter to you regarding the T, why don't you write a letter back listing all the coaching mistakes the coach made. Then send a copy to that school's AD.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Precedence for this action.

Pg. 92 of the 1997-1998 mechanics manual has notes for the AD/game manager about dealing with idiotic, I mean irate, coaches.

"If you have a grievance, stay away. See him, her or them later. That will be soon enough. Better yet, write a letter after three or more days."

Of course, the three days is hoping that the coach won't remember anything even 1 hr after the game, but there are some with brains out there.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Precedence for this action.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Pg. 92 of the 1997-1998 mechanics manual has notes for the AD/game manager about dealing with idiotic, I mean irate, coaches.

"If you have a grievance, stay away. See him, her or them later. That will be soon enough. Better yet, write a letter after three or more days."

Of course, the three days is hoping that the coach won't remember anything even 1 hr after the game, but there are some with brains out there.
Mark, I believe in the original post, the coach wrote a letter to the two officials. What's your point?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Precedence for this action.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Mark, I believe in the original post, the coach wrote a letter to the two officials. What's your point?
The original poster seemed somewhat shocked that a coach would write a letter.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I guess i have a diff. take on this. Of course it depends on the tone of the letter. you said he got the T because he was out of the box and complaining. So, am i assume he wouldn't have gotten the T if either; 1) out of box only or; 2) complaining only. It is unusual to receive a letter. It probably needs some attention by the AD. However it might also need some attention by the official. I'm not saying the official did anything wrong, I just saying the eye in the sky doesn't lie. So be careful what you say you saw.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

The Coach's letter should be written to the Association President for the Board of Directors to review and then the Board pass it on to the officials involved. The Board should send a letter confirming their receipt of said letter and requesting a game tape for review.

The board will most likely not hear from the Coach again, but I believe that if you are contacted by letter you must respond with a letter.

Good Luck
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

thank's for the input guys!Yes Mark P. you are right and my partner was afirst year official so we discussed the timing of his whistle.I did not respond to the coach because my supervisor handled it and told me to let it go.My boss called the AD and gave him a earfull.This happened over a year ago and I have had no more problems with the coach.