The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I was working this game by myself, and thought I was doing a pretty good job. Situation: Home team down by 1, about 1:30 to go. I am standing on the side opposite of coaches. Home team attempts to foul the dribbler, on opposite side of court, I'm not sure if I see a foul, so I don't blow my whistle, home team them intentially fouls the next ball handler after the pass. I call intential, the coach goes crazy, telling me that if I had called the first foul, his player would not have had to intenially foul the second guy.

I felt the coach may have had a point so I did not T him up, although in hind sight I should have told him to be quiet, and then tell him that the player did not have to throw the guy on the floor (which after thinking about it should have been a flagrant, but that is neither here not there) My question is, did I goof by not calling the initial contact, even though I was unsure?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

My opinion is that if I don't see it, I don't call it. (This is not addressing verbal abuse, etc.) There's nothing worse than calling something because you think it may be there or anticipate it being there, only to really be nothing.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
I was working this game by myself, and thought I was doing a pretty good job. Situation: Home team down by 1, about 1:30 to go. I am standing on the side opposite of coaches. Home team attempts to foul the dribbler, on opposite side of court, I'm not sure if I see a foul, so I don't blow my whistle, home team them intentially fouls the next ball handler after the pass. I call intential, the coach goes crazy, telling me that if I had called the first foul, his player would not have had to intenially foul the second guy.

I felt the coach may have had a point so I did not T him up, although in hind sight I should have told him to be quiet, and then tell him that the player did not have to throw the guy on the floor (which after thinking about it should have been a flagrant, but that is neither here not there) My question is, did I goof by not calling the initial contact, even though I was unsure?
Yes, you did. If you know a team is trying to foul at the end of a game, call it when they make the first attempt. Even if they swat at him and miss, call the foul. If you don't, they're just going to foul harder and someone will get hurt. In a situation like this, we will tell the players, "Guys, we know you're going to foul to stop the clock. We're going to call it when we see it, so don't hurt anyone."

Game management.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 11:43am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Yes, you did. If you know a team is trying to foul at the end of a game, call it when they make the first attempt. Even if they swat at him and miss, call the foul. If you don't, they're just going to foul harder and someone will get hurt. In a situation like this, we will tell the players, "Guys, we know you're going to foul to stop the clock. We're going to call it when we see it, so don't hurt anyone."

Game management.
I agree, Tony,....
But I called that foul once, not even an intentional, cuz I thought the defender made a good attempt, and I got a new orifice.
Ya just never know.
mick
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

I agree, Tony,....
But I called that foul once, not even an intentional, cuz I thought the defender made a good attempt, and I got a new orifice.
Ya just never know.
mick
Oh, most coaches aren't going to understand this any better than they understand many other things. If they ask, I'll explain and the smart ones get it. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 11:58am
certified Hot Mom tester

Look - it's hard enough calling a game by yourself. Pretty much, we've all done it. Of course you're going to miss a few things. If it was expected that you wouldn't miss anything, then all games would be done with one official.

As to the first call, the principle is the same whether you are out there with none, one or two other officials - if it might have been a foul, it wasn't - if it might have been traveling, it wasn't - if it might have been a carry, it wasn't - etc. You absolutely must see the foul or violation and there must be no doubt in your mind that it happened.

If the coach is the least bit reasonable (and maybe there's your answer), and you explain that in one-man mechanics you can't even come close to seeing everything but you're doing the best you can, then he should accept that.

If he doesn't - puke on his shoes.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches react to results of plays rather than to calls/non-calls. Had this play yielded a steal by the next defender, would he have been screaming so loudly that you should already have called a foul?

As for calling the attempt, I strongly disagree. If the offense is skilled enough to dodge the attempt, then you are helping the other team get back into the game by calling the foul. Also, anticipating the call may mean you penalize the defense when they force a turnover in a fouling situation without committing the foul. If they make contact, you can call it. But if they miss, or if they force a turnover, don't be too quick to whistle the foul.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Coaches react to results of plays rather than to calls/non-calls.
Ah, you're kidding, right?

Quote:
Also, anticipating the call may mean you penalize the defense when they force a turnover in a fouling situation without committing the foul. If they make contact, you can call it. But if they miss, or if they force a turnover, don't be too quick to whistle the foul.
I didn't say anything about anticipating a foul. There's a big difference in trying to foul and trying to make a steal or playing the ball. I talking about a defender who is just swiping at the offensive player. The more he misses, the harder the swipes get. By calling the foul, you can prevent the hard foul and the possible altercation that may occur because of it.

Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up I'm with you, Coach...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Coaches react to results of plays rather than to calls/non-calls. Had this play yielded a steal by the next defender, would he have been screaming so loudly that you should already have called a foul?

As for calling the attempt, I strongly disagree. If the offense is skilled enough to dodge the attempt, then you are helping the other team get back into the game by calling the foul. Also, anticipating the call may mean you penalize the defense when they force a turnover in a fouling situation without committing the foul. If they make contact, you can call it. But if they miss, or if they force a turnover, don't be too quick to whistle the foul.
I agree, Coach. Although, I think there is a fine line. I make sure I tell the players to go for the ball if you're going to foul. It usually works. I would say this:

When a coach or another player yells, "BALL!!" instead of "FOUL!", you get cleaner play/fouls because the players are actually trying to steal the ball.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't say anything about anticipating a foul. There's a big difference in trying to foul and trying to make a steal or playing the ball. I talking about a defender who is just swiping at the offensive player. The more he misses, the harder the swipes get. By calling the foul, you can prevent the hard foul and the possible altercation that may occur because of it. [/B]
Fair enough. I read a little too much into what you said. But I do believe that swing and a miss should not be a foul, even if foul was attempted. To have a common foul, the first requirement is contact. If the offense is quick enough, they avoid the contact and the defense runs around trying to foul and stop the clock. If the offense can pass quickly enough, they can run 15-30 seconds off the clock. When you are holding a narrow lead, that is a better alternative than shooting free throws when you were never fouled. If the defense gets flagrant, call the flagrant with its ejection and give the offense shots and the ball.