The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Question

I attended my first NBA game last night since becoming a basketball official and I noticed something that I thought was odd. During the first half, the teams were going towards their own basket, and vice versa in the second half. I know that in High School and below (college...?), you go towards your own basket in the second half. Anyone know why this is???

It was funny last night, but I spent more time watching the officials than the players. Very different mechanics
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

from the NBA rules

"The visiting team has the choice of baskets for the first half. The basket selected by the visiting team when it first enters onto the court shall be its basket for the first half."
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

There are no mechanics from NBA officials.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
I attended my first NBA game last night since becoming a basketball official and I noticed something that I thought was odd. During the first half, the teams were going towards their own basket, and vice versa in the second half. I know that in High School and below (college...?), you go towards your own basket in the second half. Anyone know why this is???

It was funny last night, but I spent more time watching the officials than the players. Very different mechanics
Just to be picky, you go towards your own basket in both halves (unless a player is confused).
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking WOW!!!

Whoops! I meant to say toward their own bench!!!
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 03:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Just to be picky, you go towards your own basket in both halves (unless a player is confused).
I LOVE IT!

I love these replies! Here's a sitch:

I'm at the highest level camp here in Ontario, and one clinician is talking about game management and was sidetracked a little by telling a story about a team that was very talented, having 8 (of 10) players that were very good. He had mentioned that all 8 could play as a starter.

After he was done, everyone had understood his point (doesn't matter right now what his point was) and another clinician followed him, who is VERY funny. I mean, VERY funny. (He once, as a joke, polled the audience over one of my calls. Maybe you hadta be there - but this guy is VERY funny.) Anyways, he opened with, "You have some serious game management issues if you're letting a team play with 8 starters.

We all broke up laughing.

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 23rd, 2001 at 02:16 PM]
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Maybe you hadta be there - but this guy is VERY funny.) Anyways, he opened with, "You have some serious game management issues if you're letting a team play with 8 starters.
I didn't have to be there to get this one --GREAT!
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 03:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I didn't have to be there to get this one --GREAT! [/B]
Juulie - about 3 years ago I was doing a varsity level girls game with Tigard visiting Lake Oswego. I'm sure you know both coaches. At about the second dead ball, Ken Johnson (Tigard) subs. One of his girls doesn't come off and he has six on the court. I do what I usually do in that situation when I count six - I went toward him and announced in a loud voice, "Coach - new rule this year - you can only have five!"

Both coaches laughed (probably since it was still very early in the game) and Gary Lavender (LO coach) yelled at "Johns" about trying to get an unfair advantage by playing an extra girl.

"Johns" stood up, looked at Gary, put his hand on his hip and said in a very effeminate tone, "We LIKE playing with six."

The whole gym cracked up.

Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 04:02pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
"Johns" stood up, looked at Gary, put his hand on his hip and said in a very effeminate tone, "We LIKE playing with six."

The whole gym cracked up.

Reffing a V boys game and a shooter was hacked on the way up, and everyone in unison, goes "and 1", including the coach.

Jogging to the FRA, I reply to the coach, "coach, you get two for that one, but if you just want one, let me know." The ball didn't go in, but everyone thought that it was gunna drop.

He laughed.

..Mike
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Jugglin' , sounds like a story from Barrie? possibly Brigg??
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 11:27pm

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
Jugglin' , sounds like a story from Barrie? possibly Brigg??
Close Tyler. The story was from Toronto - York U actually. You know, at JDP.

Yes, it was Brigg. I had made a loose ball call that was correct, although a little late on the whistle. Brigg, having the microphone, asked people what they thought. (And this was before Regis was host.) Tyler, I tell ya, that guy is so freakin' funny!

..Mike
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
To the contrary. NBA officials are some of the best trained officials in sports. Many of their mechanics have trickled down to the high school level. Where do you think the 3 man rotation came from?

You may not like the way the game is played at that level but there's a lot to be said for the officiating.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 11:50pm

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
To the contrary. NBA officials are some of the best trained officials in sports. Many of their mechanics have trickled down to the high school level. Where do you think the 3 man rotation came from?

You may not like the way the game is played at that level but there's a lot to be said for the officiating.
Personally, I think NFL officials are the best when it comes to mechanics. Ed Hochuli, or "pipes" as we call him, is just fantastic. Ever seen him give a first down?

..Mike
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

NBA officials have mechanics, it's just that staunch NF guys dont like them. NBA mechanics are for speed and efficiency. Many of the mechanics we use today originated in the NBA. Even in 2 person crews. I learned stong side mechanics in the 2 person game 3or 4 years before it was even mentioned. I learned "refereeing the defense" before it was popular among NF. Over the past few years I have learned more about how to referee man-to-man, weakside and perimeter rebounds, and basic floor coverage from the pros and more quickly than I would have from HS refs. Besides NBA mechanics and rules are fun, there is a lot we can learn from the NBA
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
NBA Officials are some of the best. While their mechanics don't match what our fed. and CCA manuals perscribe they are consitant right across the league. They count the way they are told to count, they call block/charge the way they are suppose to. However, they do get a little excited, like the one who started a punch out signal( like a called 3rd strike in the MLB) when he signaled a basket was too count.

Tyler