Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bainemc
Talking Trick Plays

Get this.. I had the exact fake play ran during a JV Church game. Being the unqualified 1st year ref that I am, I completly screwed it up.
A1 inbounding under basket, A2 running towards him yelling let me take it out "I'm supposed to take it out". As A1 hands A2 the ball(A2 being inbounds), he takes one dribble and in the bucket. As A2 begins to shoot, stupid 1st year ref (Me) blows whistle.

Of course as soon as I did, I realized I got tricked just as bad as team B.Coach B went nuts. Coach B said since I blew my whistle that the ball became dead. He may have been right, but I considered it an inadvertant whistle,We counted the basket, no defender anywhere near to keep A2 from making the basket.

I was upset at myself for blowing the deal, but then I realized.. That Coach A had set up the whole thing by yelling at the boys to change places " Let Johnny throw it in" After the fact I realize that he is doing this way out of the Coaches box, even past the end of his bench; of course with an overpowering voice that everybody would hear.

Coach A calls time out, I go over and tell him that next time he is out of his box, especially to initiate a trick play, he will get nailed..T time.

As last post, I agree that there is not room for plays like this in a Good Sportsmanship game. These happen to be older kids.. Maybe ok. But there is a negative connotation about the word(s) Deceive and Deception. What do you want y our kids to learn.. Good skills or deception.. Or do you consider deception a skill?

1st Year Ref, Learning