Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

That is an excellent phrase to use showing people how to spell english. The correct phrase is, "you're out of your box coach."

You're is a contraction for YOU ARE - you are eliminating the space and the A with the apostrophe.

YOUR is a word to show possession. In this game, the coach possesses the coaching box - it is his coaching box.

THEIR also shows possession. As in "Any time they are out of their box."

THEY'RE is a contraction for THEY ARE and can be used to generalize the actions of a group of people. (Coaches often get crazy with their ranting and raving.) Use it this way: "If they are hollaring like they're crazy, then definitely hit them."

Kapeesh?
You misspelled "hollering". [/B]
If your/you're from the NW, you spell it "hollering". If your/you're from the South, you spell it "hollaring"
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Guys,
For NFHS games the maximum is 14 feet. The 2001-02 Rules Book introduced this change. I don't even see a reference to the six-foot box any more.
Nevadaref,
I see references almost every game in Michigan.
They are painted on the floor.
mick
Well, Mick,
That might be the only place that you see it, since according to the new wording of the rule, the coaching box may be any length between 0 and 14 feet. My point is that the standard six-foot box is gone. If schools wish to make them 9' 2" that is permissible.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 6th, 2004 at 08:32 AM]
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 07:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Guys,
For NFHS games the maximum is 14 feet. The 2001-02 Rules Book introduced this change. I don't even see a reference to the six-foot box any more.
Nevadaref,
mick
Well, Mick,
That might be the only place that you see it, since according to the new wording of the rule, the coaching box may be any length between 0 and 14 feet. My point is that the standard six-foot box is gone. If schools wish to make them 9' 2" that is permissible.

Schools can't decide what size to make the coaching boxes. Only state associations can- i.e. the MHSSAA for Michigan. That was referred to in the 2001-02 rule change. Schools are only allowed to set the actual location of each team's bench.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 08:40am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb You are saying this is a printing error.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Guys,
Nevadaref,
mick
Well, Mick,

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 6th, 2004 at 08:32 AM]
You sound so convinced, so confident.

In Michigan's Fed handout (Official Publication of the NFHS - Basketball Guide '04-05) it is written:
2004-05 BASKETBALL BENCH DECORUM OPTION [pg.15]
"Schools, by contract or league adoption during regular season boys and girls games at the junior high/middle school and high school levels, may use the six-foot coaching box as described in National Federation Basketball Rules, effective 1996-97.
...The coaching box has been approved for ALL MHSAA District, Regional, and Final Tournaments if coaches desire to use it."

mick
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
I referee HS games in PA. This year, the state has decided to begin using a coaching box...most likely 18 feet (although this is undecided last I heard). Any suggestions as to when it is appropriate to pin a coach for being out of the box?
Managing the coaches box takes time. It's an art, not a science. I try to be very aware of where the coach is and manage him within the box even if he isn't yelling at me. It's a big advantage if one coach can be coaching his players from baseline to halfcourt line while the other coach stays within his restricted area.

Besides, letting a coach roam out of his/her box is another sure way to not do well at our state's championship tournament.

When I see a coach starting to stray, I use some non-threatening remarks similar to what Mick does. I also point the box out to them in the pre-game coaches conference so they know I am aware of it from the get-go. Invariably, when I forget to mention that in the pregame meeting, I end up having to manage the box all night long.

Z
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Re: You are saying this is a printing error.

Quote:
[/B]
In Michigan's Fed handout (Official Publication of the NFHS - Basketball Guide '04-05) it is written:
"Schools, by contract or league adoption during regular season boys and girls games at the junior high/middle school and high school levels, may use the six-foot coaching box as described in National Federation Basketball Rules, effective 1996-97.
...The coaching box has been approved for ALL MHSAA District, Regional, and Final Tournaments if coaches desire to use it."

[/B][/QUOTE]Just to make sure I got it right, Mick......

The MHSAA is saying that leagues may decide to use the 6' coaching box or use NO coaching box. The leagues can't decide to use a say...14' box instead, right? And a 6' box ONLY is approved for playdowns?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 6th, 2004 at 10:40 AM]
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 10:02am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: You are saying this is a printing error.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[/B]
Just to make sure I got it right, Mick......

The MHSAA is saying that leagues may decide to use the 6' coaching box or use NO coaching box. The leagues can't decide to use a say...14' box instead, right? And a 6' box ONLY is approved for playdowns?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 6th, 2004 at 10:40 AM] [/B][/QUOTE]

JR,
Yes, you've got it.
The explanation I received was that since the Michigan officials are not adminstrating the coaching box rule correctly (ie,whacking coaches that are merely excited about the game and that forget where they are), the expanded box (which I, incidently, prefer for the entire 28') is not an option.
I'll send you copy.
mick
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: You are saying this is a printing error.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just to make sure I got it right, Mick......

[/B]
JR,
Yes, you've got it.
The explanation I received was that since the Michigan officials are not adminstrating the coaching box rule correctly (ie,whacking coaches that are merely excited about the game and that forget where they are), the expanded box (which I, incidently, prefer for the entire 28') is not an option.
[/B][/QUOTE]Just as I thought, and just as you posted before, Mick. The governing state association ONLY can set the size of the coaching box- not individual leagues, teams,etc.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Sorry I am working from memeory of the rule change. The coaches box is a state option and the state can option to do what it wants with size but no greater than the 14 feet. Texas keeps it at 6. I am sure there are other states that agree.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
That is an excellent phrase to use showing people how to spell english.

Kapeesh?
Funny, I always spell English with a capital E.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Guys,
Nevadaref,
mick
Well, Mick,

Schools can't decide what size to make the coaching boxes. Only state associations can- i.e. the MHSSAA for Michigan. That was referred to in the 2001-02 rule change. Schools are only allowed to set the actual location of each team's bench.
Ok, JR, I'll have to agree with that nuance. But is doesn't change my main point; which is that the NFHS Rules Book no longer provides a standard length for a coaching box. Anything between zero and fourteen will do.

I will add though that the distinction between SCHOOLS and the STATE ASSN can differ greatly from one area to another. Out here our schools created and hired an office known as the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association (NIAA). This body is charged with scheduling and administering all athletic contests between the member schools. However, these people work for the schools, and the SCHOOLS are still really the boss. If they want something, they tell the NIAA and they get it. This is why we went to 14' last season and do NOT have a mercy rule. So while I should have phrased it differently in my earlier post, it amounts to the same thing out here.

As for Mick,
"...may use the six-foot coaching box as described in National Federation Basketball Rules, effective 1996-97."
This is exactly what I am saying no longer exists.

The 2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Book does not describe a six-foot coaching box. It describes one that is "no more than 14 feet." Why is Michigan referencing the old 1996-97 book? I would bet that most officials don't even have a copy of that book anymore! I know I don't as that was my first season of officiating HS ball and I didn't keep my books when I left DC. Does the MHSAA plan any future "official" handouts that reference something from a old book up in MTD's attic?

Obviously they should be writing something to the effect of "may use the coaching box described in the current NFHS Rules Book."
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 10:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
As for Mick,
"...may use the six-foot coaching box as described in National Federation Basketball Rules, effective 1996-97."
This is exactly what I am saying no longer exists.
Nevadaref,
Yes, you did.
But, apparently it does, ... in a current NFHS publication.
mick

I don't write 'em, I just read 'em.