Thread: Coaching Boxes
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: You are saying this is a printing error.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
In Michigan's Fed handout (Official Publication of the NFHS - Basketball Guide '04-05) it is written:
2004-05 BASKETBALL BENCH DECORUM OPTION [pg.15]
"Schools, by contract or league adoption during regular season boys and girls games at the junior high/middle school and high school levels, may use the six-foot coaching box as described in National Federation Basketball Rules, effective 1996-97.
...The coaching box has been approved for ALL MHSAA District, Regional, and Final Tournaments if coaches desire to use it."
Just to make sure I got it right, Mick......

The MHSAA is saying that leagues may decide to use the 6' coaching box or use NO coaching box. The leagues can't decide to use a say...14' box instead, right? And a 6' box ONLY is approved for playdowns?

[/B]
JR,
Yes, you've got it.
The explanation I received was that since the Michigan officials are not adminstrating the coaching box rule correctly (ie,whacking coaches that are merely excited about the game and that forget where they are), the expanded box (which I, incidently, prefer for the entire 28') is not an option.
[/B][/QUOTE]Just as I thought, and just as you posted before, Mick. The governing state association ONLY can set the size of the coaching box- not individual leagues, teams,etc.