The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coaching Boxes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15746-coaching-boxes.html)

tmp44 Tue Oct 05, 2004 08:43pm

I referee HS games in PA. This year, the state has decided to begin using a coaching box...most likely 18 feet (although this is undecided last I heard). Any suggestions as to when it is appropriate to pin a coach for being out of the box?

brandan89 Tue Oct 05, 2004 09:01pm

Any time they are out of their box. You may want to give them a warning such as: "your out of your box coach," or "get in the box coach." If they are hollaring like their crazy then deffently hit them.

JugglingReferee Tue Oct 05, 2004 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by many people and it's driving me nuts!
Any time they are out of their box. You may want to give them a warning such as: "your out of your box coach," or "get in the box coach." If they are hollaring like their crazy then deffently hit them.
That is an excellent phrase to use showing people how to spell english. The correct phrase is, "you're out of your box coach."

You're is a contraction for YOU ARE - you are eliminating the space and the A with the apostrophe.

YOUR is a word to show possession. In this game, the coach possesses the coaching box - it is his coaching box.

THEIR also shows possession. As in "Any time they are out of their box."

THEY'RE is a contraction for THEY ARE and can be used to generalize the actions of a group of people. (Coaches often get crazy with their ranting and raving.) Use it this way: "If they are hollaring like they're crazy, then definitely hit them."

Kapeesh?

mick Tue Oct 05, 2004 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
That's too confrontational for me, brandan89.

I prefer something like:<LI> "Coach do you know where you are?"<LI>"Coach, is that box marked well enough?"<LI>"Coach, is that box really that big?"

mick

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Oct 05, 2004 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

I prefer something like:<LI> "Coach do you know where you are?"<LI>"Coach, is that box marked well enough?"<LI>"Coach, is that box really that big?"

mick

Mick:

I like those responses. Can I steal them for my own personal use?

MTD, Sr.

mick Tue Oct 05, 2004 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

mick

Mick:

I like those responses. Can I steal them for my own personal use?

MTD, Sr.

Absolutely!
Go for the gusto, Mark! :)

mick

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 05, 2004 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee

That is an excellent phrase to use showing people how to spell english. The correct phrase is, "you're out of your box coach."

You're is a contraction for YOU ARE - you are eliminating the space and the A with the apostrophe.

YOUR is a word to show possession. In this game, the coach possesses the coaching box - it is his coaching box.

THEIR also shows possession. As in "Any time they are out of their box."

THEY'RE is a contraction for THEY ARE and can be used to generalize the actions of a group of people. (Coaches often get crazy with their ranting and raving.) Use it this way: "If they are hollaring like they're crazy, then definitely hit them."

Kapeesh? [/B]
You misspelled "hollering".

JRutledge Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:30pm

Quote:

Who cares where they are standing. As long as they are not in my way or yelling at me, I am really not paying that close of attention. If anything you can very subtlety tell the coach "where are you standing?" Usually you do not make a big deal about it. I also never have a conversation with a coach that is standing outside of the box. So when I tell them that, they get the message.

Peace

Tim Roden Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:49am

Most likely you will use the 12 foot box mentioned in the rule book. Here in Texas we use the old 6 foot box. But who cares what size it is. Most of the better officials uses Rut's approach to the box. If you aren't yelling at me I don't care. I also care if the scorer or the time keeper can't see the floor because you are standing in front of them.

TimTaylor Wed Oct 06, 2004 01:33am

A friendly "don't forget the box coach" as I pass the bench in transition is what I usually use....

rainmaker Wed Oct 06, 2004 01:57am

I use, "Remember the box, coach."

"Back in the box" or anything similar just sounds too much like talking to an animal. Regardless of what you think the coach sounds like (think howler monkey) it doesn't do to talk to her that way. It's best to act as though you think she appears human. It makes it easier for her to do so.

JugglingReferee Wed Oct 06, 2004 03:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The originally spelling of the word was kept intact for a purpose.

Nevadaref Wed Oct 06, 2004 03:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The originally spelling of the word was kept intact for a purpose.
That's original!

Nevadaref Wed Oct 06, 2004 03:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by tmp44
I referee HS games in PA. This year, the state has decided to begin using a coaching box...most likely 18 feet (although this is undecided last I heard). Any suggestions as to when it is appropriate to pin a coach for being out of the box?
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden

Most likely you will use the 12 foot box mentioned in the rule book. Here in Texas we use the old 6 foot box. But who cares what size it is. Most of the better officials uses Rut's approach to the box. If you aren't yelling at me I don't care. I also care if the scorer or the time keeper can't see the floor because you are standing in front of them.

Guys,
For NFHS games the maximum is 14 feet. The 2001-02 Rules Book introduced this change. I don't even see a reference to the six-foot box any more.

mick Wed Oct 06, 2004 05:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Guys,
For NFHS games the maximum is 14 feet. The 2001-02 Rules Book introduced this change. I don't even see a reference to the six-foot box any more.

Nevadaref,
I see references almost every game in Michigan.
They are painted on the floor.
mick