The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lets Talk Under Armor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15650-lets-talk-under-armor.html)

rockyroad Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:59am

A third tour? Wow! My utmost respect to you, Dudly...thank you for your service!

WestPAref Fri Oct 01, 2004 01:43pm

I have tried both the Under Armor and McDavid Compression and they both work great to keep the sweat off and you cool. I prefer McDavid since I have not been able to find a UA V-neck. The normal crew neck is not comfortable when you wear it with the V-neck stripes. In addition, I can save a buck with McD ($24).

lrpalmer3 Fri Oct 01, 2004 03:16pm

I don't think the stuff at Wal-mart is V-neck.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 01, 2004 08:23pm

I've tried 3 kinds: McDavid Intera, Nike Dri-Fit, and InSport CoolMax (all sleeveless v-neck). The McDavid fabric is about 3x the thickness of the Dri-Fit with the InSport about halfway between. The McDavid and Nike work about the same with wicking sweat away though the McDavid perhaps keeping a little more heat in.

When worn with a micro-mesh shirt, I find myself immeasurably drier at the end of a game when compared to cotton. When worn with the McDavid Intera Stripes, they both perform about the same but a little short of wearing them with micromesh. When worn with a regular polyester shirt, it helps a some but not nearly as much.

As I said earlier, I like the lighter feel of the Dri-Fit. I like the Coolmax the least....mostly the cut/fit of hte one I have is not as good.

In anycase, cotton is NOT even close.

Nevadaref Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:59pm

I have yet to wear my Under Armour in a basketball game. I will tomorrow for the first time. I post how it goes. I use the micromesh shirt from Honig's.
I have worn the short-sleve heat gear all summer while officiating soccer and really like it. I am not one for really tight fitting clothes, though, so I bought the XXL. I noticed a very positive difference from the normal T-shirt. I paid $25 for it.

rpirtle Sat Oct 02, 2004 01:40pm

I tried the Under Armour brand (loose-fitting) for the first time this summer. They were on sale at the camp I attended back in July. I liked the light feel and loved the way it "wicked" the wetness away from my body. Cotton T's just clung to my body and felt...well, you know, cold and clammy. I now own 5 of the loose-fitting, sleeveless variety w/ regular collar (not v-neck). Love'em...

mick Sat Oct 02, 2004 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rpirtle
I tried the Under Armour brand (loose-fitting) for the first time this summer. They were on sale at the camp I attended back in July. I liked the light feel and loved the way it "wicked" the wetness away from my body. Cotton T's just clung to my body and felt...well, you know, cold and clammy. I now own 5 of the loose-fitting, sleeveless variety w/ <font color = red>regular collar</font> (not v-neck). Love'em...
rpirtle,
Would that regular collar shirt be a Byron Collar?
I thought the regular collar was a V-neck.
mick

rpirtle Sat Oct 02, 2004 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

rpirtle,
mick

Is that what you call it? I hadn't heard it called that before. I guess so. But you're probably on to something. "Regular" is probably what's common in a particular area. Here in North Texas I see as many (or more) "Byron" collars as v-necks. I guess I'm a Byron collar type of guy. Anyway, I still love'em.

SF Sun Oct 03, 2004 03:05pm

I wear a black Nike Dri-fit v-neck

ref18 Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Larks
It seems like it just gets wet and lays on you and worse, unless you can wash it 5 min after your game, it doesnt take much to get the funk going again the next game.

I believe it was someone on this board who said to use Borax to get rid of the smell in your uniforms. Trust me, it works great ;)

[Edited by ref18 on Oct 3rd, 2004 at 11:30 PM]

Camron Rust Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Originally posted by rpirtle
I tried the Under Armour brand (loose-fitting) for the first time this summer. They were on sale at the camp I attended back in July. I liked the light feel and loved the way it "wicked" the wetness away from my body. Cotton T's just clung to my body and felt...well, you know, cold and clammy. I now own 5 of the loose-fitting, sleeveless variety w/ <font color = red>regular collar</font> (not v-neck). Love'em...
rpirtle,
mick

No. Byron collar's are the big flappy collars.

The different collars on the undershirts are crew and V.

rainmaker Mon Oct 04, 2004 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Quote:

Originally posted by Larks
It seems like it just gets wet and lays on you and worse, unless you can wash it 5 min after your game, it doesnt take much to get the funk going again the next game.

I believe it was someone on this board who said to use Borax to get rid of the smell in your uniforms. Trust me, it works great ;)

[Edited by ref18 on Oct 3rd, 2004 at 11:30 PM]

Borax is very good for getting smells out of laundry. It can be very hard on fabric, though. I wash my shirts after every wearing, but only use borax about every third or fourth wash. I find this to be adequate.

TimTaylor Mon Oct 04, 2004 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Borax is very good for getting smells out of laundry. It can be very hard on fabric, though. I wash my shirts after every wearing, but only use borax about every third or fourth wash. I find this to be adequate.

Yeah, worst thing is to let them sit. I typically use about a half scoop of Oxyclean in warm water on a short wash cycle - does a great job!

Hey Juulie, you doing VB this year?

Jurassic Referee Mon Oct 04, 2004 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Yeah, worst thing is to let them sit. I typically use about a half scoop of Oxyclean in warm water on a short wash cycle - does a great job!

You two taking over until Martha Stewart gets out?

SF Mon Oct 04, 2004 05:52pm

Does anyone have problems with Under Armor or any other moisture wicking fabric smelling badly? I've only worn them for 1 game at a time, as I still wore cotton T-shirts on tournaments and long weekends full of games and such. If I switch, will the UA (or whatever) really start to stink over, say, a long Saturday's worth of games?