The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Book rule for that is where????

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
i've always seen it called traveling by every ref i have ever seen the violation on... i would love to be able to show them that in the rule book it is not a travel.. i've always seen it that way, so i guess that's why i call it that way....LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY!!
If you want to show them in the rule book that there is no such thing as a travel during a throw-in, simply point them to Basketball Fundamentals #2 and #5. Number 5 explicitly states it and #2 implies it because you can't travel if you don't have player control. It doesn't get any more fundamental than that.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

9-2-1.The player shall not...."leave the designated throw -in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass."
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
9-2-1.The player shall not...."leave the designated throw -in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass."
And??
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

[B]
Quote:
Yeah, and then what...we got that part, we need to know what it says after that????? all i have with me is my case book, it skips 9-2-1...guess they didn't think they needed an example of that..
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[B]
Quote:
Yeah, and then what...we got that part, we need to know what it says after that????? all i have with me is my case book, it skips 9-2-1...guess they didn't think they needed an example of that..
It simply says that it's a violation. To signal it, according to the NFHS official signal list at the end of the rules you use:
1) Signal 1- "start clock"- but raised arm does NOT chop time in.
-followed by:
2) Signal 25- "designated spot or other violations"

Couldn't be simpler.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Sorry...was answering PGCougar :0
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 02:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Is there a casebook play or a rule that directly addresses a situation where the inbounder jumps so that s/he is completly over the inbounds portion of the court before releasing the ball? I thought there was a casebook play that ruled this situation as a violation, but I can't find it.
Time to drag out the attic-residing briefcases!

ROFLMAO. From Spring 1991 to Spring 2003, I was on 800 mg per day of Motrin for my knees, when I then had my knee scoped, my ortho put me on 50 mg per day of Vioxx. I guess I am not going climb the ladder to go up in the attic for a while am I.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 02:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
From Spring 1991 to Spring 2003, I was on 800 mg per day of Motrin for my knees, when I then had my knee scoped, my ortho put me on 50 mg per day of Vioxx.

[/B][/QUOTE]Whoa, Mark. Check out today's new's stories, please. They're taking Vioxx off of the market. Not good for us old guys- doubles the chance of us having heart attacks or strokes. I was on Celebrex for my knees too- and my doctor took me off of it months ago for the same reason.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Att'n- MTD Sr.

Mark, check out this link:
http://health.yahoo.com/search/healt...$&p=id%3A63516
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
my ortho put me on 50 mg per day of Vioxx.
Hopefully not anymore.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
when I then had my knee scoped, my ortho put me on 50 mg per day of Vioxx. I guess I am not going climb the ladder to go up in the attic for a while am I.
Whoa, Mark. Check out today's new's stories, please. They're taking Vioxx off of the market. [/B]
I think Mark already knew that. I think that's why he won't be going up the ladder for a while -- b/c they've taken away his pain meds.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 09:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
when I then had my knee scoped, my ortho put me on 50 mg per day of Vioxx. I guess I am not going climb the ladder to go up in the attic for a while am I.
Whoa, Mark. Check out today's new's stories, please. They're taking Vioxx off of the market.
I think Mark already knew that. I think that's why he won't be going up the ladder for a while -- b/c they've taken away his pain meds. [/B]

Gosh Chuck, if you understood what I meant you must be off your meds too. :-)

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Book rule for that is where????

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:
i've always seen it called traveling by every ref i have ever seen the violation on... i would love to be able to show them that in the rule book it is not a travel.. i've always seen it that way, so i guess that's why i call it that way....LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY!!
If you want to show them in the rule book that there is no such thing as a travel during a throw-in, simply point them to Basketball Fundamentals #2 and #5. Number 5 explicitly states it and #2 implies it because you can't travel if you don't have player control. It doesn't get any more fundamental than that.
It is also in 6-1-1.
"...a jump ball in the center restraining circle, by a throw-in or by a free throw. The dribble and traveling rules are not in effect in these situations."
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whoa, Mark. Check out today's new's stories, please. They're taking Vioxx off of the market.
I think Mark already knew that. I think that's why he won't be going up the ladder for a while -- b/c they've taken away his pain meds. [/B]
The meds I was on last week, I was climbing the walls. I'd have been glad to get his briefcase down for him!
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 01:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Mark already knew that. I think that's why he won't be going up the ladder for a while -- b/c they've taken away his pain meds.
The meds I was on last week, I was climbing the walls. I'd have been glad to get his briefcase down for him! [/B]

ROFLMAO
Toledo, Ohio