LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
You: Do you think that yelling at me is going to hurt or help your team?

Coach: You can't possibly get worse so I aint worrying about you hurting me anymore.
Oh, yeah? How 'bout this one? Tweet!
Nevada, maybe you realize this, but you just made Dan's point. Dan's saying to avoid the smart-*** one-liners b/c they will end in T's that could've and should've been avoided. If you end up throwing a T b/c you tried to get the coach's goat, you've done a disservice to that game. So avoid the whole problem by NOT making any of those "funny" one-liners.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Was doing a church league game and having a terrible night. The players pitch in to pay for the officials. After the game one of them told me they couldn't believe they were paying for this. I told him he didn't, he increased his tithe this week by $1.00.
Honestly...I was terrible that night. The only thing that didn't happen was me running into the wall.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
You: Do you think that yelling at me is going to hurt or help your team?

Coach: You can't possibly get worse so I aint worrying about you hurting me anymore.
Oh, yeah? How 'bout this one? Tweet!
Nevada, maybe you realize this, but you just made Dan's point. Dan's saying to avoid the smart-*** one-liners b/c they will end in T's that could've and should've been avoided. If you end up throwing a T b/c you tried to get the coach's goat, you've done a disservice to that game. So avoid the whole problem by NOT making any of those "funny" one-liners.
Chuck,
If I am going to say something like this to a coach, he has already crossed the line and deserves a T. By being a smartass, I'm either giving the coach a final chance to backoff (Albeit, not a great one.) or just having some fun with him before the punishment is meted out. If a T is the end result of the quip, I don't care at this point, it was already justified.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

One of my favorites that is mentioned on this board quite a bit stems from a coach complaining/arguing/thinking out loud that his/her opponent got the last jump ball.

Coach: Didn't they get the last jump ball?

Official: Maybe. How about we give you two out of the next three to make it up to you?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

One that I like to do is if I have the rule memorized. I'll just quote the reference.

I had coach upset at me one time because his player A1 inbounding from the side line put the ball over the line and the defender B1 hit it out of A1's hand without touching him. Then dribbled in for the score.

Running by I just said 9-2-11. He questioned me and I said Rule 9 section 2 article 11 go look it up.

This usually quiets them down because their thinking, if I can quote the rule by number, I probably know what I'm talking about and he'd better go look it up.

It also makes you more credible the next you see the coach.

P.S. No!!!! I don't have all the rules memorized. Still working on that one.