The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I had one last night that has left me torn. The Coach of A was pretty vocal (I don't know why, we were calling a great game) but I let it go because we were usually on the other end of the floor when she was bellyaching.

In the 4th quarter I was the lead, away from the benches. There was a loose ball, and people were flopping all over(no contact though) and finally her girl grabbed it and rolled over. Of course my partner called a travel, and during play I had moved closer to the action so I was near the benches now. The coach was on the other end of the bench (closer to the table and my partner away from me) and was jumping, stomping her feet, and yelling. I could not exactly hear what she was saying, I figured she was yelling at her team (1, for the stupid play, 2, because they were whizzing away a 12 point lead in about 2 minutes), but I realized too late she was going after my partner. I know this because she turned around and starting coming at me at 100 miles an hour. But I gave her the "look" and she stopped dead in her tracks and grabbed the first spot of open bench.

Should I have given her a "late" T when I knew it was my partner she was after, or did I do the right thing by letting it go? My partner says she blocked out the coaches and had no idea what they were saying. I feel like I let her down by not whacking the coach (she did look ridiculous jumping and stomping after the call).
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

WHACK!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

In a hotly contested game...at this point...I believe the "look" was enough. She knew she was out-of-line by sitting down immediately after you gave her that "look".

I think you did the right thing. I may have passed closely to the bench and told her to cool down and don't let that happen again. I TRY to let the kids determine the outcome of the game...when possible.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 11:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

You did right. Remember the old adage from veteran ref Ed Hightower - "The purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without issuing the technical, you're that much ahead."

Personally, sometimes I feel the purpose of a technical foul is to punish bad behavior. But I guess Ed would tell me that I should have stopped it first.

BTW - on another board a coach complained because he got a T without getting a warning first. My response is that if he wants that to happen, he should give us a warning first that he is going to have some bad behavior coming up soon. After all, these calls need to go "both ways", don't they?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - on another board a coach complained because he got a T without getting a warning first. My response is that if he wants that to happen, he should give us a warning first that he is going to have some bad behavior coming up soon. After all, these calls need to go "both ways", don't they?
I wonder if that was the coach I T'ed up two weeks ago! I whacked him with 40 seconds left in OT and his team was down by 4. An errant pass went out-of-bounds right next to where I was standing. I didn't see if it had been tipped so I asked my partner for help. He said, "Yes, it was tipped!" I called ball to same team, not this coach's team. He went ballistic! I IMMEDIATELY told him to sit down as everything happened right in front of his bench. He said, "Dammit, that was a bullsh@! call!!"

I stepped out and said WHACK!! Wrote him up with the unsportmanlike conduct sheet, sent it to the IHSAA, and he responded that we didn't give him any warning. WHAT?? Got to be kidding me! During the course of the game, we gave him several "looks" and several "universal hand" signs to no avail.

Got one question for you, coach: "Where in the rule book does it say I must warn you?"
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I wish I knew what my "look" was. I have never seen a coach stop dead in their tracks and sit down. If I could bottle that I would be set for life. To be honest, it shocked the heck out of me.

The AD told me this is her first year, and she is right out of college. She must have gone to IU and taken Bobby's coaching class. He said she has been a screamer all year.

At some point she'll learn a lesson... or two.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref

Got one question for you, coach: "Where in the rule book does it say I must warn you?" [/B]
Rule 11.

It is in the same section as "reaching" and "Over -the- Back" fouls.

For some reason mine comes every year missing this section.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Actually, I wish I knew what my "look" was. I have never seen a coach stop dead in their tracks and sit down.
Oh I have! Went to a Senior High game a couple weeks ago (mostly to watch the refs) and during the game one of the officials gave "the look" and man was it effective! This guy could'a stopped a freight train! I went right home after that and practiced in the mirror.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

You might tell your partner you didn't realize the coach was yelling at her until it was too late. Had you realize the coach was yelling at your partner, i would have 1st given the stop sign. Then if the coach continues, give the T.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
during the game one of the officials gave "the look" and man was it effective! This guy could'a stopped a freight train! I went right home after that and practiced in the mirror.
My dad calls it the "Hairy Eyeball". I have one that works well on my own kids, and I occasionally use it on the hardwood, but it has no effect on coaches. Anyone know where I can buy another "Hairy Eyeball" to keep in my game bag? Thanks!