The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

It's not just the parents of 4,5 and 6 year olds. It's the 11, 12 and 13 year olds' parents, too.

"He got mugged! Someone call 911"
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
O believe me, I know. I dont know if it is just here or not, but during the summer league I had a lot of "future Jordons." The parents about have a heart attack when you call something again little Johnny.. My favorite I had this one parent who got kicked out of the gym when she thought her little sweet heart got charged and I called a block. I mean I new it was right the other ref knew it was right, and I even think he knew it was right but she didnt. She was determined to get that call tho but the only place that got her was the parking lot.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

learned something new

forgive me for my ignorance...never been to any 3-4-5-6 yr old refereed games...I have seen 5-6 GRADE ball...
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I just don't understand parents and coaches that are like that. I went to my brother's (8th grade) basketball game last weekend, but I don't think I would go to anymore games because his coach drives me crazy. He has all kinds and antics and always wants to blame everything on the refs. A player got called for a fifth foul and he threw a hat against the ground and - WHACK - and now he's really mad. He turns to the stands, knowing I ref, and asks me "should I have been T'd up for that." I just nodded. He's turns around and says - loudly - "every f****** ref in the world is out to get us" and then he's gone. Really, what was he thinking? When has a ref ever taken back a foul because the coach yelled?
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Red face

That is funny.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

SF...Living in a small town we seem to get that alot from the coaches. The try to pit on ref against another. I have come up with my standard answer "I came to watch the game not evaluate the refs." Usually stops them from asking me for my support. Which I wouldn't give them anyway. Then they will see you in town and not let it go.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm asked my opinion, usually I will say something similar to what you say, but in this situation I thought nodding was the appropiate response to show support for a good call. Luckily, since I live in jam packed suburbia, I don't usually see the coaches any time other than on the court... except for my brother's coach.