Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 09:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

STOP IT!!!!! The guy is trying to tell you that it's a judgement call. A judgement call means a judgement call. You wanna toss the coach in this play? Fine! Toss his @ss and proudly live with it! If someone questions you about it just say "Sh!t yeah I tossed him!" and move on with your life. If an assignor is stupid enough to fire you for it then to hell with him.

Just stop trying to walk some fine line that does not exist.
Is it okay if I say, "Heck, yea, etc..."
What Dan said. That's basically what I was trying to get across. When you're doing this ballgame, and the coach pulls something like that, none of us round-butted l'il second guessers sitting comfortably here in front of our computers really has any idea at all of the different factors surrounding the call. We don't know what the kids and coaches have been up to before this happened, what kind of person the coach is, whether the game was outa sight, etc., etc. The official on the spot has to factor all these things in, then make up his/her mind as to what to do in about...oh...2 seconds or so, and then act decisively and authoratively enough to keep the game under control. That's tough enough to do without worrying about whether anybody else is gonna agree with what you did or question your call. As Dan said, t'hell with them. You're the one on the spot. Call what you feel comfortable with, and don't second-guess yourself. There is no "magic" call in these situations- just do what YOU think is the right thing. You got to have faith in yourself.