The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

In my game, the coach or any assistant that deliberately interferes with the game is getting first dibs on the shower.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

If the coach reached over the sideline and deflected a pass instead, would all the Judge Roy Bean's throw him out too? That's interfering with a live ball also, isn't it, and it really isn't that much different that the original play, is it?. Just wondering.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If the coach reached over the sideline and deflected a pass instead, would all the Judge Roy Bean's throw him out too? That's interfering with a live ball also, isn't it, and it really isn't that much different that the original play, is it?. Just wondering.
Shut up hippy.

That's the problem with people today...too damn permissive!

And get off my lawn!!!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Shut up hippy.

And get off my lawn!!!
Lah me! Banned from the lawn. Again.

Didn't we have a thread a l'il while ago about a coach standing on the sideline- still in his coaching box, and then touching a pass coming up the sidelines? Wasn't the argument then between dem that wanted a "T" and dose that just wanted a violation? I don't remember anyone really advocating running the coach's a$$. Except for you, of course. Or is my memory failing me again. Just seems to me that there really ain't that much difference in HOW you interfere.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Shut up hippy.

And get off my lawn!!!

Didn't we have a thread a l'il while ago about a coach standing on the sideline- still in his coaching box, and then touching a pass coming up the sidelines? Wasn't the argument then between dem that wanted a "T" and dose that just wanted a violation? I don't remember anyone really advocating running the coach's a$$. Except for you, of course. Or is my memory failing me again. Just seems to me that there really ain't that much difference in HOW you interfere.
Actually I don't have a horse in this race, I was just trying to run Chuck for stirring this up again just as it was starting to die down.

And I want you to stay the heck off my lawn.

But since you ask, this poor b@stard (the coach, not you) is probably so wound up & frustrated already I would not want to take him out of his misery by offering an early exit.

So put me down for a T.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Shut up hippy.

And get off my lawn!!!

I think the difference was the previous case is that the ball came right by the coach on a pass and he/she, perhaps reflexively, touched the ball. I would not think of running the coach in that case.

In this case, the coach reached out into the floor and slapped the ball away from a player who had control of the ball.

Those are two very different animals. There is no reason or excuse for the latter.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Why is throwing a chair (onto the court not at players) anymore extreme then a coach stealing the ball from a player?
The coach basically poked the ball away. He simply touched the ball. That happens hundreds of time per game. A thrown chair happens once every couple of decades at the most.

Throwing a chair is in itself a more overt act and certainly more aggressive, regardless of whether it is thrown at someone or not. (Just ask the lady that got hit in the face last week.)

If we can't agree that throwing a chair is extreme and pushing the ball is not extreme, then we are living in "separate worlds" and should go our "separate ways" (with apologies to Steve Perry and Journey) because any further conversation is probably pointless.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

On to another part of this argument, what mechanic do you use if it is flagrant? The cross and toss? I've never seen a coach tossed for a flagrant so I'm unclear on what to do mechanically.
As far as tossing him, for me it would depend somewhat on how he was behaving the rest of the game. His actions are absolutely an automatic T, but if he's been a problem all night, it very well could be thought of as flagrant and you can send him and the parents and team he represents a message by getting rid of him. Just my opinion.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
On to another part of this argument, what mechanic do you use if it is flagrant? The cross and toss?
No cross. Just the toss. The "cross" is the signal for an intentional foul, not a flagrant foul.

There is no actual signal for a flagrant foul. If you don't wanna use a signal like the baseball toss, you can just verbally tell the coach that he's toast. Or maybe you can make up your own signal; wave "bye-bye" at him or something.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Why is throwing a chair (onto the court not at players) anymore extreme then a coach stealing the ball from a player?
The coach basically poked the ball away. He simply touched the ball. That happens hundreds of time per game. A thrown chair happens once every couple of decades at the most.

Throwing a chair is in itself a more overt act and certainly more aggressive, regardless of whether it is thrown at someone or not. (Just ask the lady that got hit in the face last week.)

If we can't agree that throwing a chair is extreme and pushing the ball is not extreme, then we are living in "separate worlds" and should go our "separate ways" (with apologies to Steve Perry and Journey) because any further conversation is probably pointless.
That's fine, I guess you had to be there to see it. It shocked me more than if he were to throw a chair onto the court. I guess in that regards it was extremely unusual. I still feel that it's an automatic ejection, unless my assigner told me different.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Can you really tell me that this coach's action was extreme, persistent, vulgar, or abusive?

I don't know...ask the girl's father, who's sitting in the stands, watching a grown man knock the ball out of his precious little girls hands.

Late...
Richland, WA
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Can you really tell me that this coach's action was extreme, persistent, vulgar, or abusive?

I don't know...ask the girl's father, who's sitting in the stands, watching a grown man knock the ball out of his precious little girls hands.

Late...
Oh now there's a good source to back up an argument. Some kid's father. Yeah, right.

Z
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Late...
Oh now there's a good source to back up an argument. Some kid's father. Yeah, right.

Z
Oh...I didn't tell ya...that girl's father was the official for the next game!
Richland, WA
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

When did Woody Hayes become a basketball coach?

I vote for immediate ejection, as flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. The coach can't think he's a player in a girl's game. To me, this is the same as a cornerman tossing in the towel in a boxing match. He wants out of the game, so grant his wish. Next thing you know, the coach will be tripping someone running by, maybe me. See ya!
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

This is a delicate situation to say the least. My personal opinion is this. I feel that this should be just called a direct technical foul on the coach for unsportsmanlike conduct and NOT an ejection.

You are in the closing seconds of a ballgame and the technical is going to give the other team 2 shots and the ball at the division line opposite the table. This penalty alone is going to upset the coach and he is going to have some choice words for you and I dont think this is severe enough to warrant the ejection.

Now if the coach already has been assessed a direct technical foul in the game or two indirect technicals for something earlier in the game, and then you call this technical foul, he or she is ejected and must sit out the next two contests. (by NC rules)

As for the coach tripping someone running by, he will get a wave bye bye from me, because he is gone, that would constitute the immmediate ejection. I would be more than happy to go through the paperwork for this ejection.

[Edited by ncref on Sep 23rd, 2004 at 02:15 AM]