The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

This past weekend I was watching a game while waiting for mine to start. There was 30 secs left and team B was down by 4. Team B came down on a fastbreak and missed a shot. Team A gets the rebound and fastbreaks up the court near Team B's bench. Coach B reaches out and swipes the ball away from the girl dribbling. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

I've seen coaches do some pretty stupid things but this took the cake. Do to the fact that it was a camp and the refs out there were new, they only gave him a technical. I would have ejected him immediately!

Has this happened to anyone and how was it handled?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 01:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
This past weekend I was watching a game while waiting for mine to start. There was 30 secs left and team B was down by 4. Team B came down on a fastbreak and missed a shot. Team A gets the rebound and fastbreaks up the court near Team B's bench. Coach B reaches out and swipes the ball away from the girl dribbling. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

I've seen coaches do some pretty stupid things but this took the cake. Do to the fact that it was a camp and the refs out there were new, they only gave him a technical. I would have ejected him immediately!

Has this happened to anyone and how was it handled?

I have never had it happen to me or seen it happen, but I agree with you. Had this been a real game, Coach B would have taken an early trip to the showers.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
I would have ejected him immediately!
I agree with you. Had this been a real game, Coach B would have taken an early trip to the showers.
Why exactly? He obviously delayed the game (T-worthy), but was it so outrageously flagrant that he should be tossed?

Just asking.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
I would have ejected him immediately!
I agree with you. Had this been a real game, Coach B would have taken an early trip to the showers.
Why exactly? He obviously delayed the game (T-worthy), but was it so outrageously flagrant that he should be tossed?

Just asking.
I would have T'd him for unsporting conduct and another for being outside the box or anything that could be used! I think this is definitely worthy of being tossed. If your the other coach are you going to want this to happen to your girls? What happens if he misses the ball and nails her hand or arm?

This should not be acceptable!
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I would have T'd him for unsporting conduct and another for being outside the box or anything that could be used! I think this is definitely worthy of being tossed.

Again, why? What makes touching the ball from the coaching box flagrant?

Quote:
If your the other coach are you going to want this to happen to your girls?
No. So?

Quote:
What happens if he misses the ball and nails her hand or arm?
I don't know, but that's a completely different situation. We don't need to address it here, do we?

Quote:
This should not be acceptable!
Of course it's not acceptable. So T him up.

Again, I'm just asking. What's the basis for considering this flagrant?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

If I had the game, I, too, would eject the coach.

I look at at like this: He is violating TWO different parts of rule 10-4. First, by making contact with a player on the court, I would say this constitutes entering the court without being beckoned by an official. Second, he is committing an unsporting foul by impeding the progress of a player on the floor.

I'm not saying this is correct, I'm just saying what my line of thinking is.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Chuck, I just "T" the coach for an unsportsmanlike act. Why eject? It's not like he started a fight or something that serious.

Z
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is a flagrant unsportsmanlike foul. It exceeds all bounds of what a coach can or should do.

It is an ejection, and he would finish this game from the locker room and here in Utah (at least high school) he would be absent from the next one too.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Throw him out and do everything you can to insure his team does not win, 2 Ts.

In my mind, this is very similiar to the 6th player jumping in and blocking a shot/fouling an opponent that came up previously.

Coaches coach, players play, and officials officiate and don't mix those up. We all know that coaches will try officiating, who'd of thunk they would try playing too?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Again, I'm just asking. What's the basis for considering this flagrant?
I'd call it "making a travesty of the game." In my opinion, any coach that would ever even consider pulling a stunt like this should never enter a gym again. I would do anything in my power to make that happen. Around here, if you T a coach, but don't toss him, you don't even have to file a report! This is completely within the bounds of tossing. In my opinion.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I see this like Sam does. Very much like the 6th player coming in at the last second.

While it's probably not an automatic toss for me, I'm going to strongly consider based on several factors (game situation, violator's body language, etc.)

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards an automatic toss.

Adam
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Hey, I don't like the coaches actions anymore the rest of you. However, I don't see where the rules support ejection. His actions don't come under the definition of "flagrant" and I think it's a big stretch to give two technicals for one action.

Z
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-19-4 says a flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of a violent or saveage nature, or a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable conduct.

You don't think reaching out into the playing area and knocking the ball out of a players hands is not unacceptable conduct?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Hey, I don't like the coaches actions anymore the rest of you. However, I don't see where the rules support ejection. His actions don't come under the definition of "flagrant" and I think it's a big stretch to give two technicals for one action.

Z
I certainly think his actions do come under the definition of flagrant. 4-19-4 "... A flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of a violent or savage nature, or a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable conduct. ..."

Since the coach did not touch the player, and the coach is a nonplayer, I have a foul by a nonplayer, which 4-19-5a says is a technical foul and since I consider illegally interfering with the game unacceptable conduct to me it meets the above definition of flagrant. He's gone.

Ask yourself this, what would you do to a random fan who did this as he walked by the court? I don't think any of us would hesitate to have the fan removed from the gym. Why? Because that conduct is unacceptable.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

I cannot believe that this is even a debate, it's a no brainer. The coach deliberately interfered with the play of the game physically, he's gone, no debate and the guy undergo a serious evaluation of whether he should ever coach again. One flagrant T, coach is gone, period.