The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,
I'm looking for any articles or published papers about the merits of the three-whistle officiating system.
The coaches here are constantly wishing to revert to two-whistle and I would like to provide some solid evidence that many others believe three is better.
Can you help direct me to any sources?
Thanks.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

WOW.

That's a tough one. Unfortunately, I think you could produce all the literature you want, but if the coach's perception is they are not getting value by paying for 3 instead of 2, something needs to be examined.

If you are trying to sell them that 3 person is better than 2 person, you have to prove it on the court to the coaches. Are more off-the-ball fouls being picked up? Is the crew hustling? Are they getting in position to make quality calls?

If I was a coach on a limited budget, I'd want to make sure my money is being spent wisely, also. And paying for a 3rd person, if I don't see an upgrade in the quality of the referees,would just be an added expense.

This is an issue for all of us. I can see coaches saying that the Olympics used two person crews,for the finest professionals in the world, and they seemed to come out all right. Why do I need to pay 3 referees for a bunch of 17 year-olds?

So, again, I reiterate, the only way to justify 3 person to a coach, is if the quality of the referees justifies it. And that is on all of us to continue to improve and learn
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

With so many schools opting for "pay to play" due to budget problems, I would be in favor of reverting to the 2-man system if it meant that more kids could participate in athletic programs.

The quality issue aside, I haven't seen significant identifiable evidence that a 3-man crew adds more value at least to justify the cost. I hate to play the economics card here but it is a reality that can be addressed. If a team can save $1,000 a season, who am I to demand the third official.

Better yet, who is gonna tell Janie and Johnny's parents that they have to fork out $200 to allow their kids to play sports -- but the officiating will be better with 3-man, for a price?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Hey all,
I'm looking for any articles or published papers about the merits of the three-whistle officiating system.
The coaches here are constantly wishing to revert to two-whistle and I would like to provide some solid evidence that many others believe three is better.
Thanks.
Wish I could help ya' Nevadaref. Here in Washington State, it's the director of the WIAA and the Officials Association pushing for 3-person. The schools don't seem to be the slightest bit interested, even when the proposal was that the schools could get 3 for the price of 2 (the officials taking a 1/3rd pay cut).

Z
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches may want 'better games' and better officials, but they certainly don't want their star player to be in foul trouble halfway through the 2nd quarter because of off-ball calls.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

INHO, I think it's difficult to justify having three-official crews all the time. However, there are definitely some games (two athletic and skilled varsity boys teams, for example) in which a three-official crew seems very warranted.

I hate to sound sexist here, because it's usually not my nature at all, but let's face it, most high school girls games do not need three officials. Having said that, if you're going to put three officials on the floor for boys games, then the girls deserve the same treatment.

In my area, some games (like Christmas tournaments and the state playoffs) are covered by three officials, but most other games are done by two. But in recent years, our assigners have been putting three officials on some "high profile" games.

The problem, however, is where do you draw the line? Which games do you assign two officials and which games do you assign three?

The problem is, a lot of the coaches in our area have been complaining about the system. Some times they come out for a game and there are three of us out there; other times there are just two. Some coaches seem to look at the assigning of a specific number of officials as arbitrary. Quite a few have said that they want it the same way for all games.

Anyone have an opinion?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The main objections to three person basketball is:
1)money
2)retraining old officials
3)"That's not my area" excuse.
4) Not enough officials.

Here in Texas we have been working on it.
1) Change the pay scale. Have a different pay scale for 3 man than you have for 2 man. You may have to work two games to get the money you used to get for one but if that is what it takes.

2) Train. Require everyone who wants to call varsity to attend a camp over the summer that teaches three man and have all your summer league games done in three man. Get used to the covereage and mechanics in the off season so that in the season it is second nature. Let the "old guy's" know that this will extend their career. I saw one clinician tell an official at camp that we need your experience on the floor. All we are trying to do here is teach you the mechanics so you can be there when we need you.

3) Use propoer HS mechanics for the covereage. HS mechanics(vs college) has a lot of double whistles. Make sure you are calling your primary and if need be help in the secondary. Make sure as C you are getting that junk that happens at the top of the key. The coaches are expecting you to clean up the game when you have three eyes on it.

4) Get the word out. We are moving the three man officiating and we need new blood to help us do it. The more we can have in the chapter the better off we will be. Let the rookies know that that are wanted and appreciated and the ones that work hard will get varsity games this year.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Coaches may want 'better games' and better officials, but they certainly don't want their star player to be in foul trouble halfway through the 2nd quarter because of off-ball calls.
Then have the coach tell his "star player" to knock off the stupid fouling off-ball.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

3-man needs to happen

A couple years ago, our local association had a benefactor lined up that would pay for the third man... for all the largest schools!

Coaches still wouldn't go for it.

2-man it is.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

3 person crews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Hey all,
Thanks.
I know that this was posted a while ago but I am wondering if you found any articles or papers on the merits of 3 person crews?
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 09:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Roden View Post
The coaches are expecting you to clean up the game when you have three eyes on it.
So, you're talking about a 1 1/2 person crew?
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And His Partner Was Blind (No IAABO Jokes Please) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Roden View Post
The coaches are expecting you to clean up the game when you have three eyes on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So, you're talking about a 1 1/2 person crew?
No Mark Padgett. A one and a half person crew is physically impossible and just downright silly. Be serious, like me. He's talking about this official:

Or, one of the official's day job is as a pirate.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 12:38pm.
Closed Thread