The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

After watching the game I have a question. During the first quarter, one of the US players was fouled and missed the shot. (I think it was Odom.) He then picked up the ball and dunked it pulling the rim down in the process. Is that legal? I thought you weren’t allowed to dunk or pull on the rim (or do any practicing for that matter) during a ball. Maybe FIBA rules are different.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Firstly I am not American, I don't care about the US being out of the running for gold. What I say, I say as an official.

FIBA seriously needs to re-evaluate their 2 man system. Here are a few points that I feel seriously need to be looked at.

1. The lead official spent most of his time camped out under the basket. There was very little movement on the endline, the official was straight lined, and that didn't allow them the best view of the play.

2. On a throwin from the far endline, the officials were at the free throw line extended before the ball was inbounded. This is not acceptable at the high school level, so why does FIBA allow it.

I also thought that there were a few fouls that could've been called, and I owe them not being called to the officials wierd posistioning. But I don't think anything can excuse that hit in the face in the last 2 minutes of the game. There should've been a call for that, no question about it.

The officials were ahead of the play or straighlined on too many occasions, so I don't think they had proper views to make many calls.

Just my observations.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA will be using 3-man in Bejing in four years. It is LONG overdue.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I also thought that there were a few fouls that could've been called, and I owe them not being called to the officials wierd posistioning. But I don't think anything can excuse that hit in the face in the last 2 minutes of the game. There should've been a call for that, no question about it.

WHich game are you talking about?
I think it was the Argentina-USA game.
Something rings a bell that the longer-haired Argentinian "bomber" contacted a USA opponent with his face.
The Argentinian didn't whine at all. I think the defender swiped the ball; when the "bomber" lost the ball, he went after it and, trying to draw a foul, his face made inadvertent contact with the defender.
I may be dreaming, maybe it was another game.
mick
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

1. The lead official spent most of his time camped out under the basket. There was very little movement on the endline, the official was straight lined, and that didn't allow them the best view of the play.
I think what disturbed me more than just being camped out in the middle of the lane was the fact that the refs appeared to close down to right under the basket. I don't know what kind of view they're getting from there, but it sure ain't a good one.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
After watching the game I have a question. During the first quarter, one of the US players was fouled and missed the shot. (I think it was Odom.) He then picked up the ball and dunked it pulling the rim down in the process. Is that legal? I thought you weren’t allowed to dunk or pull on the rim (or do any practicing for that matter) during a ball. Maybe FIBA rules are different.
Not specifically prohibited in FIBA. Dunking in permitted in pre-game. After a whistle, you're not supposed to shoot or dunk etc.... but it is not closely enforced.