Official Forum Member

Re: Help me understand

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
The player went out voluntarily, so the first retouch shouldn't be that player or it will be illegal, I think.
mick
Voluntary or involuntary, it makes no difference. The only rules we have are that a player may not be in control of the ball while OOB (a violation otherwise) and a player may not leave the court for an unauthorized reason (a T).
7.1.1B Play (Paraphrase) A1 is offbalance, steps out, steps in, and gets the ball. Ruling: Legal. A1 did not leave the court voluntarily.

Okay, fine.

In the play posted above, the player jumped out of bounds (voluntary act, no body made him, and he didn't fall), then passed to himself.
The ruling in A1, implys that if the player left the court voluntarily, then the play is illegal.

mick

If you leave voluntarily *and it's done to "confuse the defense" or to gain an advantage* (and that part is just implied, not specifically mentioned), then it's a T. The player would never get a chance to reenter and touch the ball. If you decide it's not a T for leaving, then it's never a violation to be the first to touch the ball.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 03:06pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Help me understand

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

If you leave voluntarily *and it's done to "confuse the defense" or to gain an advantage* (and that part is just implied, not specifically mentioned), then it's a T. The player would never get a chance to reenter and touch the ball. If you decide it's not a T for leaving, then it's never a violation to be the first to touch the ball.
Bob,
Are you saying a player cannot leave the court voluntarily without intent to deceive,... that is, to Catch and Pass a ball?
Cuz I was saying: leave voluntarily *and it's not done to "confuse the defense" or to gain an advantage*
mick
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Help me understand

Quote:
Quote:

Bob,
Are you saying a player cannot leave the court voluntarily without intent to deceive,... that is, to Catch and Pass a ball?
Cuz I was saying: leave voluntarily *and it's not done to "confuse the defense" or to gain an advantage*
mick
Phew! I've lost track of this thread -- I think we are saying the same thing:

If you leave
With intent to deceive
It's a T

If you leave
But do not deceive
It's not a V
For you to retrieve

QED
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help me understand

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bob,
mick
Phew! I've lost track of this thread -- I think we are saying the same thing:

If you leave
With intent to deceive
It's a T

If you leave
But do not deceive
It's not a V
For you to retrieve

QED
Thanks, Bob.
I'll change my thought.