View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
This one sent me to my book! I was watching from the stands.... The visiting guard stole the ball above the 3-point arc. He made a wild cross-court pass to a team-mate breaking down court. The pass was too high and headed OOB. The second player jumped and batted the ball toward the hoop, then came down and his momentum carried him OOB. He returned inbounds and was the first to touch the ball, dribbling in the the lay-up. Ref right on the play made no call.

Best I can tell, reverse inference from the case book says this is correct. Explanations seem to indicate that if a player never establishes "player control", and goes out of bounds involunteerily (i.e., from momentum), then the player can return in bounds and be first to touch the ball.

Come to think of it, I couldn't find in the rule book where a player dribbling the ball is not allowed to unintentionally leave the court, then return inbounds before touching the ball, and continue. My recollection, however, is that this is an OOB call.

Comments?
There are several cases in the case book that deal with the original play. As long as the player does not have player control, it's not a violation. For example, if a player has player control, but the ball bounces off his foot during a dribble (interrupted dribble), and the player steps on a boundary line, then comes back in and recovers the ball, that's not a violation (this rule was changed in '97).

The prohibition on a dribbler touching the line can be found in 9-3.