The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 09:55pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Could you good folks summarize for me the rulings applicable to the following end of game scenarios that may occur on sideline OOB plays?

1>Defense fouls player on court before ball is at the disposal of inbounder

2>Defense fouls inbounder prior to release

3>Defense contacts ball by reaching through the boundary plane

4> Defense fouls player on court after ball is at the disposal of inbounder but prior to release

any other possibilities you can envision?

As always, thanks for furthering my education
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

1- Technical foul.

2- Intentional personal foul.

3- Technical foul

4- Personal foul, possibly intentional.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

No rules references at this time.

Technical Foul

2>Defense fouls inbounder prior to release

Intentional Foul

3>Defense contacts ball by reaching through the boundary plane

This is a Technical Foul.

4> Defense fouls player on court after ball is at the disposal of inbounder but prior to release

Just a common foul unless the team is in the bonus.

any other possibilities you can envision?

Not sure what else you could think of?

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Aug 6th, 2004 at 11:21 PM]
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
1- Technical foul.

2- Intentional personal foul.

3- Technical foul

Agree except #4 is always intentional if it's a "strategic" foul.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I have to disagree with this. Whether a "strategic" foul is called intentional or not depends entirely on the nature of contact. The "strategic" part shoudln't come into it at all. If you would not have called it intentional in the 1st quarter, don't call it intentional late in the 4th.

There's actually a short paragraph about this in the 2004 NCAA rulebook PoE for men, on p. 15.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
I have to disagree with this. Whether a "strategic" foul is called intentional or not depends entirely on the nature of contact. The "strategic" part shoudln't come into it at all.
Dan and I were fortunate enough to get an early preview of the NCAA tape that will be making the rounds of pre-season clinics tihs year. Hank Nicols talks about the importance of calling the intentional at the end of games. He shows examples (from the NCAA tourney, no less) where guys are not fouling hard, but are holding offensive players around the waist before the ball is released on the inbounds. His interp -- intentional.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, Lotto. I'm just pointing out that the "strategic" foul is very often intentional. The defense is intentionally fouling to keep the clock from starting, even if the contact isn't all that hard. That's an intentional, even tho you wouldn't have called that level of contact a foul in the first quarter.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
This is an "away-from-the-play" foul, if committed in the last two minutes of the 4th quarter or OT. Give any offensive player on the floor one shot, and give the offense the ball back at the spot of the original throw-in.

What? Nobody's interested in the NBA rule?
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
I have to disagree with this. Whether a "strategic" foul is called intentional or not depends entirely on the nature of contact. The "strategic" part shoudln't come into it at all.
Dan and I were fortunate enough to get an early preview of the NCAA tape that will be making the rounds of pre-season clinics tihs year. Hank Nicols talks about the importance of calling the intentional at the end of games. He shows examples (from the NCAA tourney, no less) where guys are not fouling hard, but are holding offensive players around the waist before the ball is released on the inbounds. His interp -- intentional.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, Lotto. I'm just pointing out that the "strategic" foul is very often intentional. The defense is intentionally fouling to keep the clock from starting, even if the contact isn't all that hard. That's an intentional, even tho you wouldn't have called that level of contact a foul in the first quarter.
I agree with Lotto on this one . A stategic foul may or may not be intentional. The example above of a foul on the in-bounds play before the ball gets thrown in is only one of the different strategic fouls. A strategic foul is definitely not always an intentional foul, imo. You make each call on it's own merits- nothing else. If a defender puts on a good show of going for the ball, I think that Hank Nicols will have YOUR balls if you call something like that "intentional". That's not the spirit and intent of the rule. The way I understand it is that they (both NCAA & NFHS) wanna go back to the way intentionals used to be called-i.e. regular foul if you go for the ball, and intentional foul if you grab a shirt or just wrap somebody up.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 10:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
This is an "away-from-the-play" foul, if committed in the last two minutes of the 4th quarter or OT. Give any offensive player on the floor one shot, and give the offense the ball back at the spot of the original throw-in.

What? Nobody's interested in the NBA rule? [/B][/QUOTE]I heard that that, because of the problems their players are currently having in the international games, the NBA is now seriously considering implementing "travelling" into their rules.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with Lotto on this one . A stategic foul may or may not be intentional. The example above of a foul on the in-bounds play before the ball gets thrown in is only one of the different strategic fouls. A strategic foul is definitely not always an intentional foul, imo. You make each call on it's own merits- nothing else. If a defender puts on a good show of going for the ball, I think that Hank Nicols will have YOUR balls if you call something like that "intentional". That's not the spirit and intent of the rule. The way I understand it is that they (both NCAA & NFHS) wanna go back to the way intentionals used to be called-i.e. regular foul if you go for the ball, and intentional foul if you grab a shirt or just wrap somebody up.
I'm not saying *any* strategic foul is intentional, in fact I would be the first to say that strategic fouls are generally *not* intentional. One huge exception is the play we are discussing (#4 above):

A1 has the ball for a throw-in, B1 fouls A2 before the throw-in is complete (ie A1 is still holding the ball).

Maybe you can tell us why we need to consider whether B1 is "going for the ball" in this case?

Maybe you can tell us how, if B1 has his arms around A2's waist while yelling "HEY REF!!! LOOK!! LOOK! REF!!" this is anything BUT intentional?

That's all I'm saying, nothing more or less.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: No rules references at this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Technical Foul
Just remember that the contact will be ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant. So, if it's a foul, it's an IT or an FT foul.

Quote:

Just a common foul unless the team is in the bonus.
Even if the team is in the bonus, it will be a common foul, unless it's intentional or flagrant, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not saying *any* strategic foul is intentional, in fact I would be the first to say that strategic fouls are generally *not* intentional. One huge exception is the play we are discussing (#4 above):

A1 has the ball for a throw-in, B1 fouls A2 before the throw-in is complete (ie A1 is still holding the ball).

Maybe you can tell us why we need to consider whether B1 is "going for the ball" in this case?

Maybe you can tell us how, if B1 has his arms around A2's waist while yelling "HEY REF!!! LOOK!! LOOK! REF!!" this is anything BUT intentional?

That's all I was saying, too. I was talking about #4 above. You just said it better. Thanks.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Good grief!

All that rheotoric and we're right back to where I started from.

Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Good grief!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
All that rheotoric and we're right back to where I started from.

Let's face it -- you're good!
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

That's all I was saying, too. I was talking about #4 above. You just said it better. Thanks.
How's the wheel?