View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Agree except #4 is always intentional if it's a "strategic" foul.
I have to disagree with this. Whether a "strategic" foul is called intentional or not depends entirely on the nature of contact. The "strategic" part shoudln't come into it at all.
Dan and I were fortunate enough to get an early preview of the NCAA tape that will be making the rounds of pre-season clinics tihs year. Hank Nicols talks about the importance of calling the intentional at the end of games. He shows examples (from the NCAA tourney, no less) where guys are not fouling hard, but are holding offensive players around the waist before the ball is released on the inbounds. His interp -- intentional.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, Lotto. I'm just pointing out that the "strategic" foul is very often intentional. The defense is intentionally fouling to keep the clock from starting, even if the contact isn't all that hard. That's an intentional, even tho you wouldn't have called that level of contact a foul in the first quarter.