The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in after made basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14784-throw-after-made-basket.html)

Rodego Thu Jul 29, 2004 09:24pm

Play: Team A scores a basket and ball rolls onto the court. Player B1 gets ball and passes to B2 who is out of bounds. As B1 releases ball, B2 jumps onto court & catches ball.

Partner calls violation and gives ball back to Team A. I thought it looked funny but didn't think the ball was at the disposal of Team B yet. What's your thoughts?

ref18 Thu Jul 29, 2004 09:42pm

I would've let B2 go back out of bounds to complete the throw in.

rainmaker Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I would've let B2 go back out of bounds to complete the throw in.
me2

zebraman Fri Jul 30, 2004 08:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rodego
Play: Team A scores a basket and ball rolls onto the court. Player B1 gets ball and passes to B2 who is out of bounds. As B1 releases ball, B2 jumps onto court & catches ball.

Partner calls violation and gives ball back to Team A. I thought it looked funny but didn't think the ball was at the disposal of Team B yet. What's your thoughts?

me3 (spirit and intent of the rule)

Z

Dan_ref Fri Jul 30, 2004 09:04am

Quote:

Uhhmmm...disposal or not, what's the violation here?

devdog69 Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Welllll....the violation would be that the player is out of bounds since they left the floor from out of bounds and by the 'you are where you was' principle they are out of bounds. Not sure I would have called it, I would have to see it.

Adam Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:

Quote:

Welllll....the violation would be that the player is out of bounds since they left the floor from out of bounds and by the 'you are where you was' principle they are out of bounds. Not sure I would have called it, I would have to see it.

That's not how I read it.
After a basket, the ball goes to B1 who is standing in bounds. B still needs to do the throwin. B1 throws to B2, who jumps in the middle of the throw to the inbounds side of the court, lands, and then catches the ball.
I'd probably start my count at this point, but I don't see a violation yet.

Dan_ref Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:

Quote:

That's not how I read it.
After a basket, the ball goes to B1 who is standing in bounds. B still needs to do the throwin. B1 throws to B2, who jumps in the middle of the throw to the inbounds side of the court, lands, and then catches the ball.
I'd probably start my count at this point, but I don't see a violation yet.

My take too.

Maybe we're just being too pedantic? :eek:

blindzebra Fri Jul 30, 2004 03:22pm

I have a whistle.

Delay of game warning on A. Am I the only one that read, "A1 makes the basket then rolls the ball on the floor?"

bob jenkins Fri Jul 30, 2004 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
I have a whistle.

Delay of game warning on A. Am I the only one that read, "A1 makes the basket then rolls the ball on the floor?"

Apparently.

ref18 Fri Jul 30, 2004 03:53pm

Quote:

I have a whistle.

The way I read it, the ball rolls on its own after going through the hoop. There is no mention of any A player rolling the ball.

blindzebra Fri Jul 30, 2004 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Quote:

I have a whistle.

The way I read it, the ball rolls on its own after going through the hoop. There is no mention of any A player rolling the ball.

Oops!