Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question Still splitting hairs...

Quote:
Consider a lay-up. Assume I'm a right-handed player going in for a lay-up on the right side of the basket (right side, facing the basket). I end the dribble (hence, control the ball) WHILE taking my step with the right foot. Since left foot is on the ground, isn't the left technically my pivot?
Isn't the left foot my pivot? Technically, I say "yes"! Continuing on with the rest of the scenario, and splitting hairs, this is travel, isn't it?

Quote:
Normally, a player will end the dribble as he strides with one foot, which becomes the pivot, and then he'll step with the second foot. When the second foot steps, the pivot foot leaves the floor. The shot is released before the pivot returns to the floor. This is perfectly legal.
This isn't what I'm saying or talking about here!

Quote:
Sitch #2. Player A2 is on the wing. A1 passes to A2 who steps in (or is stepping in) with his left foot (right foot on the floor!). After catching the ball AND THEN PLANTING THE LEFT FOOT, A2 steps up with his right foot and plants it on the ground as he begins to go up for a jumpshot. A2 shoots the ball. This is another travel BY RULE that always seems to get passed on--and passed on by me.

This isn't traveling. A2 has only taken one step...
Hasn't he actually taken 2 AFTER he actually gained control of the pass?

Quote:
In the play that I'm talking about, A1 has both feet on the floor, ball in his hands, back to the basket. What has happened prior to this point is of no consequence. Let's say he's right handed. He steps with his left foot, establishing his right foot as his pivot. He then lifts the right foot and spins his body. He places the right foot back on the floor, now facing the basket. He jumps and shoots. That's traveling but it's not being called.

It's no different than a player in the same sitch who is facing the basket. A1 has both feet on the floor, ball in his hands, facing the basket. He steps with his left foot, establishing his right foot as his pivot. Then he steps with his right foot. Two steps! Traveling! Same play except one is facing the basket, the other is not.
Don't know that I agree...need more convincing...
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Still splitting hairs...

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Consider a lay-up. Assume I'm a right-handed player going in for a lay-up on the right side of the basket (right side, facing the basket). I end the dribble (hence, control the ball) WHILE taking my step with the right foot. Since left foot is on the ground, isn't the left technically my pivot?

Isn't the left foot my pivot? Technically, I say "yes"! Continuing on with the rest of the scenario, and splitting hairs, this is travel, isn't it?

NO (at least not usually). What usually happens is the you stop the dribble while both feet are in the air. The first foot that lands (in this case the right) is the pivot. You can now step with the left, and lift the right without it being a travel.

Quote:
Sitch #2. Player A2 is on the wing. A1 passes to A2 who steps in (or is stepping in) with his left foot (right foot on the floor!). After catching the ball AND THEN PLANTING THE LEFT FOOT, A2 steps up with his right foot and plants it on the ground as he begins to go up for a jumpshot. A2 shoots the ball. This is another travel BY RULE that always seems to get passed on--and passed on by me.

[/b]

It doesn't matter when he "gains control of the pass". IT matters when he "establishes his pivot foot". If he catches the pass in the air, the the pivot foot is established when he lands with one foot. He can step with the other without it beign travelling. That's what was described.

Quote:
In the play that I'm talking about, A1 has both feet on the floor, ball in his hands, back to the basket. What has happened prior to this point is of no consequence. Let's say he's right handed. He steps with his left foot, establishing his right foot as his pivot. He then lifts the right foot and spins his body. He places the right foot back on the floor, now facing the basket. He jumps and shoots. That's traveling but it's not being called.

It's no different than a player in the same sitch who is facing the basket. A1 has both feet on the floor, ball in his hands, facing the basket. He steps with his left foot, establishing his right foot as his pivot. Then he steps with his right foot. Two steps! Traveling! Same play except one is facing the basket, the other is not.

Read section 4 on traveling for more convincing.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Still splitting hairs...

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref

No. Unless you lift the pivott foot and then put it down again, STEP, it's not traveling.

Quote:
Normally, a player will end the dribble as he strides with one foot, which becomes the pivot, and then he'll step with the second foot. When the second foot steps, the pivot foot leaves the floor. The shot is released before the pivot returns to the floor. This is perfectly legal.

This isn't what I'm saying or talking about here!.
Sorry but that what it sounded like you were saying.

Quote:

The way that you describe it, it sounds like the player hasn't established his pivot foot until the left foot touches the floor. That's why I said no traveling.

Quote:

I don't know any other way to explain it other than the 3 different posts that I've already typed. Frankly, I'm about typed out on this one!

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 15th, 2001 at 08:44 PM]