Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Question

Hi All!

I am considering getting Reebok's Patent Leather shoes for next season, but am stuck in a false dilemma. I am quite satisfied with my New Balance 609s with Shape-up shoe shine. So, my question is, should I go with what I know, or is Patent the way to go?!

Thanks
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Do what feels best for your feet. I personally like the look of the patent leather shoe, and I don't have to shine them. However, I'd take the officials choice model over the reebok anyday.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm actually trying to order a pair of the new OC shoes.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

On the subject of shoes, what other shoes have folks worn during games?

I went with the Converse ref shoes. They were ok, but they are not the most comfortable for my feet and after extensive usage, I've relegated that pair to CYO/Middle school games I work.

I settled on a Reebok Veracity DMX baskeball shoe for much of last season. It's a mid-high with minimal markings and pretty comfortable. I know it's not standard issue "ref" shoe, but it was comfortable and i liked it.

I have a pair of New Balance that I have yet to break in. I also did a pre-order of the Officials Choice patent leather shoes. Just trying to find something i'm comfortable with that I can hopefully keep coming back to.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Patent Leather

I know that Officials Choice PL are great. I've worn a pair all summer. That fit your feet great and no break in period. They look great also. Everywhere I've been this summer so far everybody wants to know were they can get that shoe. You will be sursprised on how will they feel and how great they Look.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Patent leather

Sorry, but I don't like the looks of the patent leather shoes. I feel that they make you stand out too much; I am told that is the reason why we are going to the grey shirts. If your partner doesn't wear them they will stand out even more. You will not look like a team out there. I may buy a pair just to avoid an uncomfortable situation if I have a partner who insists on wearing them.

Let me ask you this: Would you wear patent leather shoes in your daily life?

Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

would you wear a shined black leather running shoe in your everyday life?? I think not.

Also, in regards to the shirts, grey shirts are not a good idea. In Canada, we've been using them, and we're switching to stripes. If one partner gets his shirt from one company and you get yours from a different company, they could be different shades of grey and that looks awful on the court. Look uniform, look like a team, black and white stripes are the only way to do that.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Patent leather

Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa
Let me ask you this: Would you wear patent leather shoes in your daily life?
Heck, no!
But those vertically striped V-necks don't go with everything either.
mick
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Patent leather

In reponse to your comment About the patent leather looking to sharpe?? Isn't that how you want to look like when you go on the floor for any game. Yes you are a team but if your partner doesn't want to look his or her best every game that isn't your responsibility. It is the same as the old saying other officials tell you let him live and die with a certain call. I think you should look the best every time go on the floor.
Ps. I don't agree with that logic about letting your partner live and with a call.
The shoes are great sepecially when wearing long pants. I received alot good comments in Pro-Am game that I did wearing the PT with long pants from players and coaches and my partners.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm leaning towards the Ref PL instead of the OC, I like the general look of the OC but why'd they put a big 'OC' on the side, that and the heal looks very thick.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Patent leather

Quote:
Originally posted by packdaddy
In reponse to your comment About the patent leather looking to sharpe?? Isn't that how you want to look like when you go on the floor for any game. Yes you are a team but if your partner doesn't want to look his or her best every game that isn't your responsibility. It is the same as the old saying other officials tell you let him live and die with a certain call. I think you should look the best every time go on the floor.
Ps. I don't agree with that logic about letting your partner live and with a call.
The shoes are great sepecially when wearing long pants. I received alot good comments in Pro-Am game that I did wearing the PT with long pants from players and coaches and my partners.
How'd you get a pair, i thought they were on backorder until august??
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Patent Leather

They are on back order until August. I just saw them on OC's web site I think in april or May. I told Paul that I wanted to to order the converse PT. He told that they coming out with there own shoe. So I ASKED HIM IF I COULD ORDER A PAIR. I HAVE ONE THE FIRST PAIR THAT OC RECEIVED. a PROTYPE. GREAT SHOE WILL NOT WEAR ANY OTHER. CAN NOT WAIT FOR MY VHSL CAMP STARTING TOMORROW IN RICHMOND,VA TO LET THE GUYS AND GALS SEE THEM. I KNOW ABOUT 7 OR 8 REF'S SO FAR HAVE ORDERED THEM.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Patent Leather

Quote:
Originally posted by packdaddy
They are on back order until August. I just saw them on OC's web site I think in april or May. I told Paul that I wanted to to order the converse PT. He told that they coming out with there own shoe. So I ASKED HIM IF I COULD ORDER A PAIR. I HAVE ONE THE FIRST PAIR THAT OC RECEIVED. a PROTYPE. GREAT SHOE WILL NOT WEAR ANY OTHER. CAN NOT WAIT FOR MY VHSL CAMP STARTING TOMORROW IN RICHMOND,VA TO LET THE GUYS AND GALS SEE THEM. I KNOW ABOUT 7 OR 8 REF'S SO FAR HAVE ORDERED THEM.
Cool, although i really don't see the need to yell. LOL!!

Good to see that you like them, I can't wait for my pair to come in.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Cool patent leather

i wasn"t yelling my key broad miss up and starting typing in caps
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

At the risk of being repetitive, the patent on patent leather has expired. They look good on Marine color guards, not on refs. They only look good with toupees and ribbed black socks. Worst of all, they come across as if you think you're better than others, but are too lazy to shine your shoes. It's like calling Taylor sparkling wine, "champagne". Next we'll be wearing patent leather striped shirts, so they have that just washed look.

Please.