The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 1999, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Okay all you vets, I need some pointers. This is my third year officiating and mostly work with subvarsity teams. Usually I work with the lesser experienced officials (like myself). On occasion my partner will announce some rule I have never heard of e.g. last night, my partner said a ball that touched the sides of a fan-shaped backboard was out of bounds. I don't remember reading that, but I do no have the rules memorized (yet). He called it, but I did not. How do we "newer" officials deal with these situations?
Old Fri Dec 10, 1999, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

my partner said a ball that touched the sides of a fan-shaped backboard was out of bounds.

Wrong. The only rules difference w/ a fan shaped backboard is that the ball remains live if it travels over a fan shaped backboard where it's OOB on a rectangular one...

How do we "newer" officials deal with these situations?

Smart-ass answer: learn the rules! Then, when the need arises, you can explain to Partner the correct ruling. I've found that it's best to cite this proper ruling in the form of a question: "Partner, isn't it true that the only difference between a fan and rectangular backboard is that the ball can pass over a fan one w/o being OOB? Isn't it also true that the ball remains live if it hits the edges?"

Stating the rule in the form of a question is especially a good idea when dealing with a grizzled veteran who might not be happy that a young guy telling him rules...a question makes it appear less like you're showing him up...

If Partner demurs, i've found it comes in really handy if you know the exact rule #: "Partner, if you check out Rule 7-1-2 after the game, i think you'll see that i'm right." Hang around these boards long enough and you'll learn the rule numbers...

Ultimately, it is up to Partner to decide whether to change his call or to stick with his initial call, but you will have given Partner every opportunity to get the rule right.
Old Fri Dec 10, 1999, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Remember also that ALL edges of All shaped backboard are in bounds.

Rule 7-1 Note
Question - The ball touches or rolls along the edge of the backboard without touching the supports. Is the ball dead? Answer - No, unless ground rules to the contrary have been mutually agreed upon before the game.
Old Fri Dec 10, 1999, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely on 12-10-1999 10:36 AM
..my partner said a ball that touched the sides of a fan-shaped backboard was out of bounds.

There are 6 sides to a rectangular backboard, and only ONE side is out of bounds (the back).
This also applies to a fan-shaped backboard. Only the back is out of bounds.