View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 10, 1999, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

my partner said a ball that touched the sides of a fan-shaped backboard was out of bounds.

Wrong. The only rules difference w/ a fan shaped backboard is that the ball remains live if it travels over a fan shaped backboard where it's OOB on a rectangular one...

How do we "newer" officials deal with these situations?

Smart-ass answer: learn the rules! Then, when the need arises, you can explain to Partner the correct ruling. I've found that it's best to cite this proper ruling in the form of a question: "Partner, isn't it true that the only difference between a fan and rectangular backboard is that the ball can pass over a fan one w/o being OOB? Isn't it also true that the ball remains live if it hits the edges?"

Stating the rule in the form of a question is especially a good idea when dealing with a grizzled veteran who might not be happy that a young guy telling him rules...a question makes it appear less like you're showing him up...

If Partner demurs, i've found it comes in really handy if you know the exact rule #: "Partner, if you check out Rule 7-1-2 after the game, i think you'll see that i'm right." Hang around these boards long enough and you'll learn the rule numbers...

Ultimately, it is up to Partner to decide whether to change his call or to stick with his initial call, but you will have given Partner every opportunity to get the rule right.