The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Let's modify the second foul. No LGP was established and a blocking foul called. If in bonus, does shooter get the two from the first hack, and the bonus throws?
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And as Dan pointed out a scant 2 minutes ago, there's no "airborne shooter" rule in NCAA men's.
Uhhhhm, no, I'm not sure that's what I meant to point out a mere 5 minutes ago.
Well, it's true anyway. You might as well take credit for it.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
Let's modify the second foul. No LGP was established and a blocking foul called. If in bonus, does shooter get the two from the first hack, and the bonus throws?
Shooter is still in the act of shooting...bonus will not matter. This is either a multiple foul or a false multiple foul depending on the time seperation. I'd lean towards a multiple since I don't think the administration of two independant fouls against the same shooter is defined unless they're a multiple.

However, unless both fouls are extreme, ignoring one (usually the 2nd) is the standard...even in the case when the 2nd player had LGP.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And as Dan pointed out a scant 2 minutes ago, there's no "airborne shooter" rule in NCAA men's.
Uhhhhm, no, I'm not sure that's what I meant to point out a mere 5 minutes ago.
Well, no, it's not true.

NCAAM has the airborne shooter rule, it's identical to ncaaw. 4.1.

As you pointed out it's the PC rule that's different.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Well, no, it's not true.

NCAAM has the airborne shooter rule, it's identical to ncaaw. 4.1.[/B][/QUOTE]
They both define an airborne shooter, I'll grant you that. I was wording it the same way the chart of rules differences does it.

Airborne shooter NFHS: In air after release of try or tap; NCAA Men: No rule.

We're saying the same thing from different angles, I think.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
After the game, I told him what a great call he had made, and that I was really pleased that he knew it was a false double.
Nevada -- Doesn't it feel great when someone you help gets better? At my camp last year there was a guy who really needed work, but he learned a lot. This year, he came to my 3-person clinics, and was invited to the college camp I went to. He got all kinds of recognition and awards, and he'll probably get college games in a year if not this fall. I almost felt like it was me moving up so fast. So to both you AND your friend I say, WAY TO GO!!
Certainly does. The two of us actually went to a couple of camps together in CA this summer and my friend got picked-up for a men's JC league. I really believe that he has what it takes to make D-1.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
However, unless both fouls are extreme, ignoring one (usually the 2nd) is the standard...even in the case when the 2nd player had LGP.
Camron,
This is why I didn't blow the whistle during the game. However, after going through the experience I have now changed my mind about this play. I now firmly believe that the 2nd foul should be called. I learned that it wasn't a big deal when we did it, and it is afterall the correct call.
Put me in the camp that votes not to ignore that second foul.

BTW, if the 2nd foul is a block, the play becomes a false multiple foul and each foul carries its own penalty, just like a false double, so the shooter would get FOUR shots for an unsuccessful try or the basket and TWO shots (one for each foul) if the goal was made.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref BTW, if the 2nd foul is a block, the play becomes a false multiple foul and each foul carries its own penalty, just like a false double, so the shooter would get FOUR shots for an unsuccessful try or the basket and TWO shots (one for each foul) if the goal was made.[/B]
Sounds to me like this could be called a multiple foul (not false) since the fouls happened at approximately the same time. In that case, the shooter would get 2 FTs whether or not the try was successful.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Camron,
This is why I didn't blow the whistle during the game. However, after going through the experience I have now changed my mind about this play. I now firmly believe that the 2nd foul should be called. I learned that it wasn't a big deal when we did it, and it is afterall the correct call.

BTW, if the 2nd foul is a block, the play becomes a false multiple foul and each foul carries its own penalty, just like a false double, so the shooter would get FOUR shots for an unsuccessful try or the basket and TWO shots (one for each foul) if the goal was made.
This would NOT be a false multiple. It would be a multiple. As Lotto said, they are approximately at the same time. There is no way that the intent is to give A1 4 shots for a 2 missed 2 point try.

The false multiple would be when B1 fouls A1 on the shot. Then, during/after the FT but before the clock starts, B2 fouls A1.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
There is no way that the intent is to give A1 4 shots for a missed 2 point try.

[/B][/QUOTE]Agree with that completely.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Camron,

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Sounds to me like this could be called a multiple foul (not false) since the fouls happened at approximately the same time. In that case, the shooter would get 2 FTs whether or not the try was successful.
Quote:
This would NOT be a false multiple. It would be a multiple. As Lotto said, they are approximately at the same time. There is no way that the intent is to give A1 4 shots for a missed 2 point try.

The false multiple would be when B1 fouls A1 on the shot. Then, during/after the FT but before the clock starts, B2 fouls A1.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree with that completely.
It looks like all of us are going to learn something during this thread because FOUR FTs is exactly what the NFHS wants on this play. It is stated directly in the case book.

"FALSE MULTIPLE FOUL
4.19.11 Situation: B1 fouls airborne A1 who is in the act of shooting. Before airborne shooter A1 returns to the floor, he/she is fouled by B2 who has moved into A1's landing area. The ball: (a) does; or (b) does not, enter the basket. RULING: This is a false multiple foul and each foul carries its own penalty. In (a), the goal is counted and A1 is awarded on free throw for each foul. In (b), A1 is awarded two free throws for each foul. (10-6 Pen 5a; 7)"

It's not often that JR forgets about a case book play! He's usually the one quoting them to us.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
It's not often that JR forgets about a case book play! He's usually the one quoting them to us.
[/B][/QUOTE]Dumb rule.

Good catch, Nevada.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Well, well, I stand corrected.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:39am
Huck Finn

Is it really the opinion of those involved with this thread to call both of these fouls? I can't picture the play or the reason for doing anything besides calling the first foul. It seems to me that this could be called often but it isn't. There are many times when a shooter gets fouled by multiple teammates and one foul is called. Is the play you are talking about different?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Is it really the opinion of those involved with this thread to call both of these fouls? I can't picture the play or the reason for doing anything besides calling the first foul. It seems to me that this could be called often but it isn't. There are many times when a shooter gets fouled by multiple teammates and one foul is called. Is the play you are talking about different?
Just another what-if rules thingy conversation, Tomegun. You're right. You will never, ever see very many multiple fouls called. If any. They certainly can be called by rule though.