The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 02:25pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Unhappy

Yesterday in a summer league game (NFHS rules with slight mods), Team B has possession to start the second half. Ten seconds later, team B scores. After the basket, refs count, find six players, and T up team B.

Referee tells our bench that the basket stands, because you can't take points off the scoreboard.

Is it unfortunate but true that you have to count the basket in this situation?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Yesterday in a summer league game (NFHS rules with slight mods), Team B has possession to start the second half. Ten seconds later, team B scores. After the basket, refs count, find six players, and T up team B.

Referee tells our bench that the basket stands, because you can't take points off the scoreboard.

Is it unfortunate but true that you have to count the basket in this situation?

Yeah. Six players is not a violation until it's discovered.
Not unlike any ineligible player.
Heck, it's only a game.
mick
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 02:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Heck, it's only a game

True, that.

I tell you, I've seen so many weird things in the past year (from a basketball game suspended 2 minutes in and made up at a later date, to a softball team who wins the game by playing a 6-2 zone defense for the last 2 innings), it's crazy.

At least I can look back and get a bit of a chuckle out of all of this.

Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

We all should be careful NOT to say things like, "You can't take points off the scoreboard."

People (coaches, fans) will misapply this statement in other situations backed by the belief that an official told them that once.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
We all should be careful NOT to say things like, "You can't take points off the scoreboard."

People (coaches, fans) will misapply this statement in other situations backed by the belief that an official told them that once.
Yeah,
I'd hate to confuse any fans.
mick
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Stat Man
There are very limited circumstances where "you can take points off the scoreboard." You have to refer to the correctable error part of the rules. But even in most cases of correctable error, you don't take points off the scorreboard. You correct the error and resume the game, with all scores that occurred left on the scoreboard. The only time you take them off is if you have erroneously counted a basket or you have erroneously awarded a FT that was made. And all correctable errors must be caught in time to be corrected.

With most things that occur like your six on the court, everything that occurred until it was noticed stands, and the rules violation is penalized at the point it is discovered. So in almost all cases, points will stay on the scoreboard if the refs do it right.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Stat-man
If you lie your situation, try this one. Summer league, two years ago. We come out for third quarter, and the other team has 6 on the court. We are in man - imagine the match-up problem this presents

We try to get the ref's attention, no avail. Ball is given to inbounder, inbounded, and lay-up results. Still trying to get ref's attention (mind you this is a quiet summer league gym and I have a loud voice). I finally get his attention as the other team is getting their player off the court. I am jumping and waving my arms to signal the ref because neither of them have heard me.

Result: Basket stands because it occurred before refs figured out there were too many players. Team B gets T for too many players. Coach A (me!) gets direct T (only one in my entire coaching career!) for straddling the line while getting the ref's attention. Ts cancel out, no FTs. We already had ball, but the offsetting Ts result in going to the AP arrow, which we also had but now lose. So the end result is I am forced to sit for an entire half of basketball due to direct T, my team loses the arrow, keeps the ball, gets no FTs and bucket stands.

I was a reeeaaal happy camper that day. Can you say report to league?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Yeah,
mick
Fans aren't all bad. In fact, I like a truly biased and loud fan base yelling at me all the time. It actually helps me stay focused, so I don't give them something legit to yell about.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Yeah,
mick
Fans aren't all bad. In fact, I like a truly biased and loud fan base yelling at me all the time. It actually helps me stay focused, so I don't give them something legit to yell about.
Luther,
I can barely hear 'em anymore, but I'll tell you this.
As I've said before, I get hollered at for two reasons.
  • Cuz I deserve it (I can fix that)
  • Cuz the Fans are ignorant. (I don't deal with ignits.)

mick
    Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:46pm
    Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
    Originally posted by Hawks Coach

{snip Hawk Coach Story}
    Hawks Coach

I may as well share my own story which is not quite similar, but involves coaching boxes in a summer league.

2001 College Summer League - My college has an alumni team in the league and I'm player/coach (more of a coach since I only played once all "season").

The opposing team coach every time his team has the ball in the first half comes down to coach in my box. After a few times of this, I figure "why not?" and coach from his box the next two times we have the ball. The host school's coach, who I now do games for, was the referee and he finally told me I had to stay in my box. I invited him over closer and I told him that if we were going to enforce the technical points of the game at a summer league, he better tell the (opposing team name removed) coach that he better stop tap-dancing his way into my box.

I'm not sure what he told the other team's coach, but the coach gave me a very dirty look afterwards. I either shrugged at him or smiled . But at least we didn't have to share our coaching boxes any more

Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:57pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Hawks Coach

{snip Hawk Coach Story}
    Hawks Coach

I may as well share my own story which is not quite similar, but involves coaching boxes in a summer league.

2001 College Summer League - My college has an alumni team in the league and I'm player/coach (more of a coach since I only played once all "season").

The opposing team coach every time his team has the ball in the first half comes down to coach in my box. After a few times of this, I figure "why not?" and coach from his box the next two times we have the ball. The host school's coach, who I now do games for, was the referee and he finally told me I had to stay in my box. I invited him over closer and I told him that if we were going to enforce the technical points of the game at a summer league, he better tell the (opposing team name removed) coach that he better stop tap-dancing his way into my box.

I'm not sure what he told the other team's coach, but the coach gave me a very dirty look afterwards. I either shrugged at him or smiled . But at least we didn't have to share our coaching boxes any more
    Whuh??!!!??
    Whack!
    mick
    Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 12:10am
    Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Lightbulb

Whuh??!!!??
    Whack!
    mick

Probably would have happened if the league used actual college officials. Stuff like this happens when you have a coach and his cronies as your referees

Old Sat Jun 26, 2004, 03:47pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:

Right answer, wrong reasoning - every scoreboard that I've worked has a button (or buttons) allowing you to adjust the score down as well as up . . .