The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A1 is on the side of the lane driving toward the basket, B 1 and B2 are sliding over to a defensive position. They are in the spot for a full 2-3 seconds. A1 starts a drive into them not touching them until he is up in the air, while he is in the air the arms of B1,B2,are goining up into a horizontal position, A1 gets hit buy the arms of the defenders and falls to the ground losing the ball. I was positioned where I could see the play in front of me. I called no foul. was it right??? It is time to become an official and not a fan.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I would have called it a foul.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Dow
A1 is on the side of the lane driving toward the basket, B 1 and B2 are sliding over to a defensive position. They are in the spot for a full 2-3 seconds. A1 starts a drive into them not touching them until he is up in the air, while he is in the air the arms of B1,B2,are goining up into a horizontal position, A1 gets hit buy the arms of the defenders and falls to the ground losing the ball. I was positioned where I could see the play in front of me. I called no foul. was it right??? It is time to become an official and not a fan.
Do you mean the arms of the defenders were raised within their VERTICAL plane? If so, I'd say you had the call correctly. Both defedners can jump vertically and occupy the space within their vertical plane. If they were leaning forward outside their plane, it's a blocking foul.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Do you mean the arms of the defenders were raised within their VERTICAL plane? If so, I'd say you had the call correctly. Both defedners can jump vertically and occupy the space within their vertical plane. If they were leaning forward outside their plane, it's a blocking foul.
If the defenders' arms were out to the side, and the shooter contacted only the arms or mostly the arms, it's a blocking foul, especially if the defender(s) were moving their arms into that position as the shooter was going up.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
If the defenders' arms were out to the side, and the shooter contacted only the arms or mostly the arms, it's a blocking foul, especially if the defender(s) were moving their arms into that position as the shooter was going up.
Juulie, that's basically what I am saying also.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 09:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
TravelinMan,
I'm sure Dave meant vertical, I've seen him work.
mick

Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
TravelinMan,
I'm sure Dave meant vertical, I've seen him work.
mick

That's what I surmised too. Pretty much all the officials on this site are rock solid on the basics. Thanks for confirming, though.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

A Foul?

What if B1 is guarding A1 who is driving, by closely staying in front of him (not standing still but running with A1) and both jump at the same time, A1 towards the basket and B1 definitely away from A1, but A1 by means of a greater leap jumps into B1 mid-air and achieves body contact (no contact of B1's arms in attempting to block the shot or any such thing) resulting in A1 mangling the shot?

Foul on B1?

Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Also

I have an objection to the replies for the original post of this thread.

From the description it sounds like B1 and B2 have established position, but meanwhile before having raised their arms in their vertical plane, A1 has jumped and is somewhat directly above them without making body contact. Then while A1 is in the air above them, B1 and B2 raise their arms vertically and make contact hitting A1 and causing him to lose the ball and fall to the ground.

This sounds like a clear foul to me, at least how i desribed it...am i right?

THanks,
Andrew
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:50am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Also

Quote:
Originally posted by ShoeBall

From the description it sounds like B1 and B2 have established position, but meanwhile before having raised their arms in their vertical plane, A1 has jumped and is somewhat directly above them without making body contact. Then while A1 is in the air above them, B1 and B2 raise their arms vertically and make contact hitting A1 and causing him to lose the ball and fall to the ground.

THanks,
Andrew
It seems to be that the shooter has penetrated and violated the defenders' vertical space.
A shooter has no additional rights.
mick
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:53am
In Memoriam

Re: A Foul?

Quote:
What if B1 is guarding A1 who is driving, by closely staying in front of him (not standing still but running with A1) and both jump at the same time, A1 towards the basket and B1 definitely away from A1, but A1 by means of a greater leap jumps into B1 mid-air and achieves body contact (no contact of B1's arms in attempting to block the shot or any such thing) resulting in A1 mangling the shot?

Foul on B1?

If you call a foul on B1, you may have "bailed out an "out-of-control" shooter.
If B did nothing wrong, then why would we penalize him?
mick
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 07:14am
In Memoriam

Re: A Foul?

Quote:

Foul on B1?

A1 jumps INTO B1 and initiates the body contact? Never a foul on B1 unless B1 sneaks under an airborne shooter- which isn't the case in the this example. Iow, I agree with Mick. If you call anything, it has to be a foul on A1.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 07:21am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Also

Quote:
Quote:

It seems to be that the shooter has penetrated and violated the defenders' vertical space.
Andrew didn't really say who the "clear" foul was on- A1 or B1/B2. Agree with Mick. Can't be on either defender, by rule. They each have a legal right to their respective "cones of verticality", and the shooter is outa his "cone of verticality". If you call anything, it's a cheap PC foul.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Re: Also

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

Andrew didn't really say who the "clear" foul was on- A1 or B1/B2. Agree with Mick. Can't be on either defender, by rule. They each have a legal right to their respective "cones of verticality", and the shooter is outa his "cone of verticality". If you call anything, it's a cheap PC foul.
If you no-call this the explanation to the complaining Coach B is that the defense did a good job, stopped the shot legally, and got the ball. Surely that's the best punishment for A1's bad play!

If the shot is made, though, it's not a cheap PC anymore, right? It's a gotta-getta, right?

Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 08:27am
In Memoriam

Exclamation Re: Re: Re: Re: Also

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
If the shot is made, though, it's not a cheap PC anymore, right? It's a gotta-getta, right?
If the shot goes and the defense is put at no disadvantage (minor contact by A1), a *no-call* could easily work.
mick