The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This board is getting way too male these days, what with the football-good-guys-testosterone thread, and the baseball, and the NBA.

I had girls games tonight, and they were very girl-y. Thank goodness. First game, '3' teams (which means they're mostly freshmen and 8th graders). "Ball, ball, ball, ball, ball..." I haven't heard much of this lately, it's been more "Dead, dead, dead..." for some reason. Maybe the LA women do that, I don't know. The "ball, ball, ball" sounded almost cozy, and pleasant.

Then second game, we had the, "...uh, uh, uh.." routine that girls do when you call a foul on them. All 15 players were doing it all game.

Third game (varsity!), we had a Darcy, a Chelsea, a Kelsey, two Shelbys, a Katrina, a Christina and a Tina. Also, an apologizer. Goes up to block a shot, gets a little arm, "Sorry!" Reaches over to get a rebound and pushes in the process, "Excuse me!"

There ain't anything like a dame!
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 12:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Really?

Girls play basketball?

Peace
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Talking

You know what they say, "Girls will be girls."
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I believe the correct quote is "There aint *nuthin* like a dame"...and I agree.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This board is getting way too male these days, what with the football-good-guys-testosterone thread, and the baseball, and the NBA.

Then second game, we had the, "...uh, uh, uh.." routine that girls do when you call a foul on them. All 15 players were doing it all game.

Juulie, what did you do about it? My response would have been "...uh, uh, uh, you don't disagree or complain about the calls in my game". If they didn't stop, well, I'd have to T them up for unsportsmanlike conduct. In other words, I'd give them one stern warning, then T them up.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:

Juulie, what did you do about it? My response would have been "...uh, uh, uh, you don't disagree or complain about the calls in my game". If they didn't stop, well, I'd have to T them up for unsportsmanlike conduct. In other words, I'd give them one stern warning, then T them up.
It's not that big of a deal. Lots of girls do it a lot of the time. Usually the hairy eyeball does the trick.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Aww they look so pretty all worked up and angry! lol
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hairy eye-bsll eh. You have to show me that one someday. Do you need to eat something special that grows hair on your eyeballs?

__________________________________________________ ______
“As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human mind."--Cleveland Amory

It's not that big of a deal. Lots of girls do it a lot of the time. Usually the hairy eyeball does the trick.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hairy eye-bsll eh. You have to show me that one someday. Do you need to eat something special that grows hair on your eyeballs?
The Hairy Eyeball is what my dad called that look that parents give across a crowded room to an errant child. I think that name for it is a family hair-loom. My dad had a very good one. My mom's had too much challenge -- we wanted to see how much farther we could get out of hand. I've in-hair-ited it from my dad -- I use it sparingly, but effectively on fans, coaches, players, and yes, even my own kids.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Hairy Eyeball is what my dad called that look that parents give across a crowded room to an errant child. I think that name for it is a family hair-loom. My dad had a very good one. My mom's had too much challenge -- we wanted to see how much farther we could get out of hand. I've in-hair-ited it from my dad -- I use it sparingly, but effectively on fans, coaches, players, and yes, even my own kids.
That's hair-larious! OK Juulie - I'll lighten up. I've got to practice my Belushi stare - you know the one where he raised that one eyebrow real high - that ought to startle the coaches, players and fans enough to do what I say.

I sort of like the following approach when a coach or player complains about a call and demands an explanation: "Coach, do you want the long or the short version? (Usually, the coach answers "just give me the short version". To which I reply: "OK - White ball"

BTW, I watched Calendar girls - good flick, but needed the sub-titles to understand those darn Brits

__________________________________________________ _______
"Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell."--Peter Brock
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
The Hairy Eyeball is what my dad called that look that parents give across a crowded room to an errant child.
This is closely related to The Old Skunk-Eye. The Old Skunk-Eye conveys, "What the [bleep] are you doing? And you better knock it off!"

My daughter often puts me on the receiving end of The Old Skunk-Eye when I try to talk to her friends.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
My daughter often puts me on the receiving end of The Old Skunk-Eye when I try to talk to her friends.
Yea, that's the look!
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 05:23pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I think it depends upon the verse.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 08:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

If you're working girls games, it can't get any verse.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I think it depends on how long it's been since you've actually seen a dame...some say even camels start looking all right after a while.

Anyway, I still agree...

We've got sunlight on the sand. We've got moonlight on the sea. We've got mangos and bananas we can pick right off the trees. We've got volleyball and ping-pong and a lot of dandy games. What ain't we got? We ain't got dames! We get packages from home. We get movies. We get shows. We get speeches from our skipper and advice from Tokyo Rose. We get letters doused with perfume. We get dizzy from the smell. What ain't we got? You know (bad word) well. We've got nothing to put on a clean white suit for. What we need is what there ain't no subsitute for. There is nothing like a dame. Nothing in the world. There is nothing you can name that is anything like a dame. We feel restless. We feel blue. We feel hungry and in need. We feel every kind of feeling but the feeling never leaves. We feel hungry as the wolf felt when he met Red Riding Hood. What don't we feel? We don't feel good. Lots of things in life are beautiful but, brother, there is one particular thing that is in no way, shape, or form like any other. There is nothing like a dame. Nothing in the world. There is nothing you can name that is anything like a dame. There are drinks like a dame. And no books like a dame. And nothing looks like a dame. And nothing acts like a dame. Or attracts like a dame. There ain't a thing that's wrong with any man here that can't be cure by (don't know what they say). A girly female feminine dame.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

If you're working girls games, it can't get any verse.
Oy vey. BTW

A man and his wife were planning a vacation. They ended up in an argument, though..."It's 'Hawaii', I'm telling you!" she said.

"I never KNEW someone so stubborn! 'Havaii' is how it's pronounced!" he replied.

And so it went all the way to the vacation...

As they got off the airplane, they passed a man. The husband abruptly stopped the wife and turned to the man to ask, "Now that we're on the island, you can settle an argument between my wife and me. Is this'Hawaii' or 'Havaii?'"

"This is Havaii," the man replied.

"Ha!" the husband gloated, turning to his wife. "See, didn't I tell you never to argue with me? I'm alllll-ways right!"

As they began to walk away, he turned back and gave the man a hearty "Thank you!"

"You're Velcome!!!"

[Edited by Dan_ref on Jun 20th, 2004 at 10:36 PM]