The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In looking over the dribble rules and some scenarios in the case book, a scenario came to mind.

While standing in A's backcourt, A2 receives a pass from A1. A2 then throws the ball into A's front court (approx. 30 feet from where A2 was standing) where it touches the floor and (a) A2 runs, catches up with the ball and continues a dribble, or (b) A2 runs, catches up with the ball, and picks up the ball. What would the ruling be? Legal or not?

At first thought, this scenario seemed to be illegal, like a pass to one's self. But, after reading Rule 4-15-3 it seems this would be a legal beginning to a dribble ("throwing...the ball to the floor") and therefore would be legal in (a) or (b), as in (a) it is just a continuation of the dribble and in (b) it would be a legal ending to a dribble.

Thoughts and opinions please.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
IMHO: Legal plays in both (a) and (b). Good reading of the rules!
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

All A2 has done is started a dribble in both cases.

Now, if he runs and catches the ball before it touches the floor, that's traveling.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
In looking over the dribble rules and some scenarios in the case book, a scenario came to mind.

While standing in A's backcourt, A2 receives a pass from A1. A2 then throws the ball into A's front court (approx. 30 feet from where A2 was standing) where it touches the floor and (a) A2 runs, catches up with the ball and continues a dribble, or (b) A2 runs, catches up with the ball, and picks up the ball. What would the ruling be? Legal or not?

At first thought, this scenario seemed to be illegal, like a pass to one's self. But, after reading Rule 4-15-3 it seems this would be a legal beginning to a dribble ("throwing...the ball to the floor") and therefore would be legal in (a) or (b), as in (a) it is just a continuation of the dribble and in (b) it would be a legal ending to a dribble.

Although you don't see your scenario happen (ever?? - I know I haven't seen it), it brings to mind another scenario that does happen often and looks like traveling to fans. That is, when a player dribbles the ball (way) above his head. As far as I know, there is no rule that restricts the height of the dribble as long as you don't "carry" the ball. Correct?
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 09:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
As far as I know, there is no rule that restricts the height of the dribble as long as you don't "carry" the ball. Correct?
I guess it would be a violation if the ball was dribbled so high it hit something hanging from the ceiling. Other than that, there is no restriction.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
As far as I know, there is no rule that restricts the height of the dribble as long as you don't "carry" the ball. Correct?
I guess it would be a violation if the ball was dribbled so high it hit something hanging from the ceiling. Other than that, there is no restriction.
Right, Mark, that is the only situation I could think of also. High dribble usually happens when younger players try to fast break. Looks real ugly.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
With regard to a high dribble, if it's high enough and the player is moving fast enough, I think it's possible for it to be a violation without the hand ever being under the ball. The hand could be on top, with the ball at rest sort of cradled between the hand and the wrist or lower arm. I would call this a carry. Usually, though, the player has little or no contact, and the ball is basically out of control. I mean, generally a high dribble is an accident, not a strategy.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[B]
Quote:
In relation to that, as long as the player can dribble with his hand on the top part of the ball, he can dribble as high as he likes/can. Its does look very funny watching some of the less experienced tall players dribble like that
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

Although you don't see your scenario happen (ever?? - I know I haven't seen it)....
Legal, as others have said.

While not often, I have seen it. The only place I've seen it used is on a break. A1 pulls down a long rebound from B1's shot and turns and tosses the ball out in front of him while starting to run to his end.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

Although you don't see your scenario happen (ever?? - I know I haven't seen it)....
Legal, as others have said.

While not often, I have seen it. The only place I've seen it used is on a break. A1 pulls down a long rebound from B1's shot and turns and tosses the ball out in front of him while starting to run to his end.
Wow..... so it is kinda like a 1 man give and go! LOL