Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
In looking over the dribble rules and some scenarios in the case book, a scenario came to mind.

While standing in A's backcourt, A2 receives a pass from A1. A2 then throws the ball into A's front court (approx. 30 feet from where A2 was standing) where it touches the floor and (a) A2 runs, catches up with the ball and continues a dribble, or (b) A2 runs, catches up with the ball, and picks up the ball. What would the ruling be? Legal or not?

At first thought, this scenario seemed to be illegal, like a pass to one's self. But, after reading Rule 4-15-3 it seems this would be a legal beginning to a dribble ("throwing...the ball to the floor") and therefore would be legal in (a) or (b), as in (a) it is just a continuation of the dribble and in (b) it would be a legal ending to a dribble.

Thoughts and opinions please.
Although you don't see your scenario happen (ever?? - I know I haven't seen it)....
Legal, as others have said.

While not often, I have seen it. The only place I've seen it used is on a break. A1 pulls down a long rebound from B1's shot and turns and tosses the ball out in front of him while starting to run to his end.
Wow..... so it is kinda like a 1 man give and go! LOL