The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

2 seconds left in 4th period, A-51 B-53. Shot (by A) well before the horn. Here's the catch, one official clearly signals 3 and the other specifically points and says 2. They then run off the court - "approving" the score, supposedly.

What is the proper call?

My thinking for this case is that the scorers give the 2, call the refs back (how can authority end when, by rule, the game cannot end in a tie?) and give them the chance to discuss 2/3.

Now, same situation, but A-51 B-54. They need the 3 to tie. What happens then?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 10:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
2 seconds left in 4th period, A-51 B-53. Shot (by A) well before the horn. Here's the catch, one official clearly signals 3 and the other specifically points and says 2. They then run off the court - "approving" the score, supposedly.

What is the proper call?

My thinking for this case is that the scorers give the 2, call the refs back (how can authority end when, by rule, the game cannot end in a tie?) and give them the chance to discuss 2/3.

Now, same situation, but A-51 B-54. They need the 3 to tie. What happens then?
Real Officials will solve that for you Mark.
They'll have it all worked out and wait for your thumb up signal. But give it to them, so they can run to the locker room that probably has the door locked.

Case one: They left the floor, they counted a three or can't count.
Case two: If they left the floor, they counted a two, or can't count.

You cannot, as scorer, call them back. You can, however, lean back and enjoy the show that the losing coach is putting on.
mick
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You cannot, as scorer, call them back. You can, however, lean back and enjoy the show that the losing coach is putting on.
mick
I do like that idea, unfortunately, a good portion of that show will eventually be directed towards me as scorer.

(And everyone was debating whether or not the floor officials should get out of Dodge at the end of a game . . .)