The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Here is the most difficult block/charge call for me. Obviously, I'd like opinions....

Following a steal above the 3-point line, we are on a fast break down the court. B1 is fast and smart. B1 is not able to get in front of A1 to set up for a charge, but does get near the basket first. B1 establishes position, stationary, hands up, with the hoop off their shoulder. (B1 is sideways.)

A1, a step behind, jumps for the shot. A1 makes a "glancing" (not straight-on) contact with B1's shoulder, then goes to the floor. (Maybe both fall down.)

The problem? B1 established position, was vertical, did not move, did not lean, did not extend knee, did not do anything wrong. A1 got past the shoulder, or at least did not hit B1 squarly in the torso. I could live with a "no call", but locally we are now told to find a foul when a crash sends players to the floor. I find it hard to sell a PC with only glancing contact (even though I think the rule book supports that). I've had evaluators state "B1 didn't take it in the chest, so no PC." I hate to penalize the defense for a perfect legal play.

Thanks.......